• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

For power athletes (sprinters and footy), my favorite test (standing long jump)

Its a great test. Better than vertical jump in my opinion. Easier to measure and a great range of results.

Does anyone here actively train their vertical leap or broad jump though?

l think there would be some kind of corelation to your broad jump and deadlift / squat. My broad jump would be under 2m and l squat like a crab for those playing at home.

no, but it is put up for footballers and aths who do it.

Great way to actually test whether your leg strength has actually improved, at least for non-competitive lifters.

That is why American sport uses the tests, as does the AFL and others.

Last edited:
I never failed to run a pb when this test was up. As long as you are doing enough training for your required sport, great basic test of leg power.

Ran 12.2 when doing 2.5m, got down to 11.2 at 2.90m.

Does anyone here actively train their vertical leap or broad jump though?

l think there would be some kind of corelation to your broad jump and deadlift / squat. My broad jump would be under 2m and l squat like a crab for those playing at home.
I trained my vertical leap when I played basketball at school. Standing jump off two feet I could get a bit further then my elbow above the rim. This was a long time ago id have a much crappier jump now lol.

Never trained broad jump though, I guess it would of been pretty good cause I was damn good at high jump and long jump at school.

Mass amounts of calf raises, standing, seated aswell as lots and lots of jumping.

Ah yep the good old "if you want to get better at something, do it more". So far all leg work as been good for mine. Ever tried the vertical jump bible?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Ah yep the good old "if you want to get better at something, do it more". So far all leg work as been good for mine. Ever tried the vertical jump bible?

back when I was doing this I had no weights/bodybuilding/fitness training I was lucky if I was 15 haha I just wanted to jump higher then everyone else in school and I did.

Not sure there was a program on the net for vertical leap but it was very hard to find back then. Got a link to that bible?

Not sure how to link a pdf. Will have a look when I get to a computer

I came across this about standing verticals.

BTW, NFL player in opening post does a 41.5 inch standing vertical at 110kg bw.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/relativestrengthmyth.html

Next, I'm going to address the notion that muscle doesn't provide any benefits to athletics, and should be avoided:
There have actually been studies done among Soviet Masters of Sport olympic lifters where they compared the vertical jumps from all weight classes and put it into a nice chart. What they found was the best vertical Jumps occured at a bodyweight of around 200 pounds.
Bodyweight and VJ among Master of Sport Weight Lifters
52kilo = 65cm
56kilo = 67cm
60 kilo = 63cm
67.5 kilo = 68cm
75kilo = 71cm
82.5kilo = 70cm
90kilo = 74cm
100kilo = 67
110kilo = 65cm
110+ kilo = 67cm

Last edited:
For jumping and size. Joey Swole. Dude does backflips and all. Colour me impressed