• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I find split squats work the glutes the best. You only need a light weight of say 10-20kg in each hand with one leg raised behind you. The first time I did them, I couldn't lay flat on my back for a few days.

Yes, you are right, but this exercise is limited due to the fact that it becomes quite difficult to maintain balance as the weight gets heavier over time, and stability becomes an issue as one fatigues.
you really need to have the bar on your back and loaded up to stimulate the glutes sufficiently, it's a big muscle group, that takes a lot to fatigue.

Double body weight for 20 reps, now that is a goal to shoot for

Unless you where a gifted squatter, It would take some serious dedication, time and a lot of hard work.

fuck, imagine how strong you'd be to full squat 160kg for 20 reps.

Yes, you are right, but this exercise is limited due to the fact that it becomes quite difficult to maintain balance as the weight gets heavier over time, and stability becomes an issue as one fatigues.
you really need to have the bar on your back and loaded up to stimulate the glutes sufficiently, it's a big muscle group, that takes a lot to fatigue.

If you're going heavy or just want help stabilising, then the trap machine is best.

Unless you where a gifted squatter, It would take some serious dedication, time and a lot of hard work.

fuck, imagine how strong you'd be to full squat 160kg for 20 reps.

For me to squat 2xbwx20 - 240x20, I'd be on the same level as Tom Platz LOL. Thought I was good when I did 1xBWx20!

For me to squat 2xbwx20 - 240x20, I'd be on the same level as Tom Platz LOL. Thought I was good when I did 1xBWx20!

If you could full squat your body weight for 20 reps, week in week out in a full body workout, and I would guess you'd be pretty young, mid 20's?
i would be very much impressed and would want your autograph.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was that crazy Silverback, and yeah I got up to about 122.5kgx20 when I was doing the first version of the PTC Beginner routine that has 2x20 squats. I actually felt like a failure because I kept stalling out at that weight and reps. I have to admit though, I'd usually also start falling over in the second set, between 12-15 reps in.

It translated into 3x10 @ 150 on the second run through of the program, and was one of the reasons that I decided to progress onto 5/3/1.
I'm 27, been weight training for about 1 year 4 months.

FWIW, I have been dubious of my squat depth lately as I've mentioned before, so I'm going to not progress the weight that I'm currently doing (working up to 215 on the 5/3/1 week) until I'm happy with the depth.

Last edited:
Just go deeper than you have to so there is no doubt
If you're not competing then it is really best. I have been going as deep as I can recently and will just have Kristos call my depth on meet day

I go just below parrallel most of then time. Concentrating on breathing, even weight distribution between both legs, form and correct speed which is as slow as feels comfortable. I have a tendancy to go to fast with all exercises, like speed power reps so nowadays i purposely slow myself down in order to hold a stricter form and concentrate better on breathing and even weight distribution.

Last edited: