• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I don't understand how someone can have glutes that don't work properly.. apart from 50 year old non-milfs with their saggy butts. Just squeeze the bum and bam! glutes activated. yes?

If only it was that simple
It's pretty common, the best way to remedy it is deep, high bar, paused squats and barbell hip thrusts

I don't understand how someone can have glutes that don't work properly.. apart from 50 year old non-milfs with their saggy butts. Just squeeze the bum and bam! glutes activated. yes?

I agree, its a recent internet created problem. No one was ever doing hip thrusts until recently and people got plenty strong enough before that.

"Can't lockout deadlifts because my glutes don't activate." No, you can't lockout deadlifts because you're not strong enough and you are fucking around on the ground dry humping the bar.

Last edited:

In my case its having singnificantly stronger quads which take over most of the movement, or getting into movement patterns that rely heavily on the quads.

I agree, its a recent internet created problem. No one was ever doing hip thrusts until recently and people got plenty strong enough before that.

"Can't lockout deadlifts because my glutes don't activate." No, you can't lockout deadlifts because you're not strong enough and you are fucking around on the ground dry humping the bar.

Despite the fact that Kwarme can pull 300kg to the exact same position and it's incredibly obvious by the video that he simply is unable to push the glutes through. He's been doing some specific glute work and his pull has increased from 250kg to 290kg in 4 weeks.

4 weeks.

I know my knees are starting to feel it on squats even just going to parallel as I do.. As the weight on the bar slowly creeps up, my knees are feeling it.

Don't care if its not true to form, but doms are bad enough after a proper leg workout without having to worry about messed up joints from doing 'proper form'. I will continue to do my girly squats.

At least I'm not loading up the bar to buggery and doing those 2 inch squat/come calf presses.

Haha.. Does anyone even use that little pad on the bar? Love the fact my traps can take the shit without needing a thick hoody and pad like you see some dudes squatting with.

I will admit I use the really thin foam surround when squatting. I wear singlets to the gym that don't cover the back of the neck, so the knurling of the bar is directly on my skin. It's more a protector for ripping up the skin on my traps.

Stay hater Bazza

Here is is pulling 290 to the same position
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152442034602243

11th of May he did a 255kg deadlift at the Arco's Shave and Lift Cancer Council competition that I also competed in then started training at Fuzzy's for deadlifts at the deadlift party a fortnight later. Feel free to fact check all that.

I will admit I use the really thin foam surround when squatting. I wear singlets to the gym that don't cover the back of the neck, so the knurling of the bar is directly on my skin. It's more a protector for ripping up the skin on my traps.

Why don't you just put on a shirt lol
The pad will raise the bar up and mess with the mechanics of the squat

Yeah I know, I should wear a shirt, but then I get hot and sweat a lot.

The foam surround is that old and squashed it's only about 2-3mm thick.

a mate told me I should be squatting in a jumper the other day (lol). I wear a singlet regardless of temperature.

I know a bodybuilder that only does half squats and he has issues locking out deadlifts because his glutes don't work properly

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152442039672243

Maybe you'll be able to see this video, maybe not

if you're not doing full squats you've got to find other ways of working the glutes, hamstring and lower back.

You need to pick a template that covers everything throughout the week and work them hard.

The "full squat" covers everything, but it needs to be done right, it seldom is.

if you're not doing full squats you've got to find other ways of working the glutes, hamstring and lower back.

You need to pick a template that covers everything throughout the week and work them hard.

The "full squat" covers everything, but it needs to be done right, it seldom is.

What do you recommend for glutes? I full squat obviously but I feel like I need something extra. I like those barbell hip thrusts, they seem to be doing the trick. I also like putting two plates on the bar and just going nuts on SLDL, not counting the reps just going until I have to stop

I find split squats work the glutes the best. You only need a light weight of say 10-20kg in each hand with one leg raised behind you. The first time I did them, I couldn't lay flat on my back for a few days.

What do you recommend for glutes? I full squat obviously but I feel like I need something extra. I like those barbell hip thrusts, they seem to be doing the trick. I also like putting two plates on the bar and just going nuts on SLDL, not counting the reps just going until I have to stop

First and foremost, the full ass to grass squat, double bodyweight for 20 to 30 rep's is a goal we all should shoot for.
but as I said it is risky, you must do it properly, done properly this method of exercise is the most important exercise man should do. But it is seldom done correctly.

I've only seen a handful of men do this right, these dudes have done them for years, week in week out, not a flash in the pan thing.

So, because it is so risky, most will go only deep enough to a point where there is no hip tuck, which is usually around the line where the hip is in line with the top of the thigh.

i think the stiff legged deadlift is an excellent exercise to work the glutes, along with a leg press the works in a pivot, rather than on a linear or sled movement.

leg curls

And any movement where the hip is under load from the extended to contracted position, one reason why some leg presses fail.

if you're using a leg press, have the backrest as far reclined as possible, and have the seat positioned as close the the pad as practical.

single leg squats using the hammer ground base deadlift/shrug machine is a rugged exercise, I recommend, you can really load up on this and still maintain stability.

Other machines I like more are just not available in gyms, so I won't comment on them.