• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Growth Methods?

I don't see much progress these days, so I use all types of methods to keep me going, so I like talking about it just to keep me on top of things, at the moment I'm using quite a bit of TUT.

But I reckon the primary goal of a young lifter is adding kg's to the bar, whatever method they employ.

What about conditioning of your physique?

Sweet fucking shit what is wrong with some of you guys? How do you always turn a simple thread into a little bitch fight? I'm tempted to delete all the bullshit posts but I'm sure there would only be a single page of discussion left.

Sweet fucking shit what is wrong with some of you guys? How do you always turn a simple thread into a little bitch fight? I'm tempted to delete all the bullshit posts but I'm sure there would only be a single page of discussion left.

Is is that all?

Trying to maintain it.
@0ni ;

i workout out three times a week, two of which are just full body workouts, they both last about an hour, and is push as hard and as fast as I can.

the third workout, which I normally do on a Saturday morning, lasts about 15 minutes, down at PTC, I do this workout to keep the pipes clean, I like doing it there because I can set everything up prior to starting.

on the alternate Saturdays I do a standard workout doing dead lifts farmers and such.

My second workout I'm really enjoying getting after my stiff legged dead's which is my second exercise after 3 sets of leg presses on the hammer uni lateral, slow and controlled reps using 220kg, I've got this (SLDL) up to 140kg x 12 reps, with a stiff straight leg, I really love this.

all my workouts include variations of push and pull.

thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I think the best method for growth is a combination of all of those that have already been mentioned and this is what I have always employed. Volume, intensity, progression, variation (high and low reps), food, recovery. Get lots of all of these and train like a motherfucker and you're pretty much assured of good growth.

Getting back on topic lol, what about routines? I don't have a routine because it changes from day to day due to the gym and how packed it is. For example I love nothing more than to squat for legs but the reality is there is only 1 squat rack and it is mostly taken. So I'll use the V squat machine and the leg press then about 3 or 4 days later if the rack is free, I'll squat. Same thing for other body parts, rarely I can use the same equipment in consecutive workouts. Does this matter as long as I am taxing the bodypart or do I need to stick to a routine and change it after every 5 or 6 weeks?

A specific set routine isn't really necessary no

I think it is, but if an exercise is not available, rather than wait, and lose the benefit of a workout which is minimal rest and hard work, quickly find an exercise which is similar, the "v" squat is a good alternative, but either way, plan you workout and jot down the weight and the reps used, it is the only way to know if your workout is working for you.

on the days where you can't do and exercise and choose a similar one, I'll just load up the macine or bar bell and just do as many as possible.

take note of the reps if you want, but the regular exercise (the one I can't access) the reps and weight remain the same until next time, so if it's 50kg x 10, that's what it will remain until the next time I'm back, I'll then try for 50kg x 11.

but that's me, that's what I enjoy, I attack the weights with aggression, it is a war do or die mentality I have with the barbell.
i often visualize standing there with a guy who has a gun to my head, telling me he will shoot me if I don't get the target rep.

Getting back on topic lol, what about routines? I don't have a routine because it changes from day to day due to the gym and how packed it is. For example I love nothing more than to squat for legs but the reality is there is only 1 squat rack and it is mostly taken. So I'll use the V squat machine and the leg press then about 3 or 4 days later if the rack is free, I'll squat. Same thing for other body parts, rarely I can use the same equipment in consecutive workouts. Does this matter as long as I am taxing the bodypart or do I need to stick to a routine and change it after every 5 or 6 weeks?
Think Program Instead Of Routine As Being Your Main Priority.

Fadi.

I think it is, but if an exercise is not available, rather than wait, and lose the benefit of a workout which is minimal rest and hard work, quickly find an exercise which is similar, the "v" squat is a good alternative, but either way, plan you workout and jot down the weight and the reps used, it is the only way to know if your workout is working for you.

on the days where you can't do and exercise and choose a similar one, I'll just load up the macine or bar bell and just do as many as possible.

take note of the reps if you want, but the regular exercise (the one I can't access) the reps and weight remain the same until next time, so if it's 50kg x 10, that's what it will remain until the next time I'm back, I'll then try for 50kg x 11.

but that's me, that's what I enjoy, I attack the weights with aggression, it is a war do or die mentality I have with the barbell.
i often visualize standing there with a guy who has a gun to my head, telling me he will shoot me if I don't get the target rep.

I'm not really sure how to elucidate my point completely but hopefully I'll think of the right way of saying it or you'll just get it
I don't think that one program is going to be inherently better than another and unless you're doing dumb shit like swapping bench presses for cable crossovers, you'll still get a good effect

For a while I used to just go in and do whatever and it worked great. After a while I'd notice that I'd do better on certain days so I'd anchor exercises I wanted to focus on in these sessions. After about a year I came up with the template I still follow today. It's not a static template though, it's a living flowing piece of work that evolves every 4 weeks or so. I think 4 or 6 weeks is an adequate amount of time to tell if a change has worked for the better or not

I stick to compound movements for majority of the workout then throw in some isolation to get blood into the area. Another thing I do is I might go to the gym set on doing back or chest or something but if I see the squat rack free, I'll change it to legs just so I can squat as I haven't done it in a while.

In my previous post , I mentioned the word "program", to distinguish it from the word "routine". Using the word "program", I was referring to the overall and bigger picture that is based on different phases of training throughout the year. This phases are called macrocycles mesocycles and microcycles. All these are based on the periodisation system which in turn is based on your 1RM. A macrocycle is usually based on one whole year, comprising of smaller cycles called mesocycles etc....

So if you walk into a gym and your first exercise for shoulders calls for standing barbell military presses, yet someone has already taken over the bar etc. here you would simply move onto using d/bells presses or machine presses, whilst still maintaining the same intensity based on the principles set out under the periodisation system.

In a nutshell, the above falls under the umbrella of:gradual progressive overload.

Fadi.

Last edited: