• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Your Protein Really PROTEIN? The Amino Acid Spiking Scam

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Is Your Protein Really PROTEIN? The Amino Acid Spiking Scam

[h=2]The TL;DR[/h]This is a long article. The more we researched this, the uglier things got. Here are the bullet points:

• Some companies are adding extra amino acids such as taurine, glycine, glutamine, and creatine to protein powders.They are counting those added aminos as dietary protein on the label, even though they’re not nearly as beneficial as real food-based protein.
    This saves them big money because these added minos are very cheap.
  • Due to the FDA’s extremely loose and haphazard definition of “protein”, this practice is technically legal.[SUP][6,8,12][/SUP]
  • Products with creatine in them are by far the worst, most misleading offenders.
  • Learn how to read the label here. In short:
    • Never buy protein with creatine in it
    • Strongly avoid protein products with taurine, glycine, or gluamine in the ingredient listing…
      • …unless the full amino profile is disclosed and it looks natural.
  • There will be a class action lawsuit at some point.
  • What we’re doing about it and how you can get involved here.
  • There are also likely products that contain these aminos and do not list them. We can hardly scratch the surface on that situation without extensive amounts of testing.
  • Update: We’ve received an absolutely phenomenal response from an expereinced industry insider. You can read it here.

I've stopped using protein powder since I ran out a few months back. I kept protein and calories the same in my diet.

I have lost weight and got stronger and leaner. Could be a coincidence but even if it is protein powder tastes like fucking shit at best and I would much rather eat food.

The only benefit i see of protein powder is cost per gram of protein but with all this dodgy stuff going on that is out the window anyway.