• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Germany VS Great Britain - Strongman Battle Of The Giants (eng sub)

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Former Powerlifter and Germanys leading Strongman Michael Blumstein challenges one of World's Strongest Men and Strengthshop Athlete Graham Hicks for an epic and motivational Strongman-Workout!

At 9:16, they move onto lift #2 using a bar with a thick diameter of 5cm. Can anyone of you good people explain to me the logic behind having a bar with such a thick circumference that is so damn difficult to grip, on purpose!? Is this a combination of grip strength in addition to lifting a weight overhead (as in that particular lift) or am I missing something here? All I see this causing is an increase in the chance of sustaining a back injury solely based on the awkwardness of the grip. I'm waiting to be enlightened by you. Thank you kindly.

Fadi.

they like to have a variety of lifts, they even have different log sizes and different world records

Being Strongman, grip strength would be very important and give you an edge over your competitor
I understand the reasoning behind it, but would hate to see a back injury caused because of it, that's all. Darkoz, I'm making a point of it because we both know how it feels to lift (say) a TV, a lounge chair or anything that is not really super heavy but damn hard and awkward to get your hands on properly...and before you know it, ..you've pulled a muscle in your back or twisted an ankle etc...

Fadi.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but would hate to see a back injury caused because of it, that's all. Darkoz, I'm making a point of it because we both know how it feels to lift (say) a TV, a lounge chair or anything that is not really super heavy but damn hard and awkward to get your hands on properly...and before you know it, ..you've pulled a muscle in your back or twisted an ankle etc...

Fadi.
Yes very true Fadi, it's a lot easier to lift a loaded barbell than fridge for sure!

Most strongman lifts are awkward and hight injury risk. Thick bar is the least of their worries.

In my opinion, if you want to show off how strong your grip is in comparison to the other strongmen, then a grip strength type of a contest should be included as part of the overall competition. This brings me to the camp who likes to put rubbish on people like me when I was weightlifting...I'll explain:

We all know that grip strength is paramount to lifting on the competition stage due to the prohibition of using straps whilst attempting a lift,...that I fully accept and understand. However when it comes to training, even some of the best of the best in the world of Olympic weightlifting(the Bulgarians and Russians) use straps in many of their training lifts,especially the pulls. I fail to see why people feel the need for their hands to bleed (or whatever else) just to show that they can lift a particular weight without straps. When my best clean & jerk was 160kg, I was shrugging 200kg for 5x5...with straps! We had two weightlifting coaches at the AIS, one thought of you as being a sissy for using straps, whilst the other one accepted the fact that when push comes to shove, what really counted was how you performed on that lifting platform, And I can't remember a time (ever) failing a lift due to lack of grip strength,...your thoughts on this matter please gentlemen?

Fadi.

Last edited:
I use straps often on deadlift sets, it saves your hands. Grip has never been a problem. As a bit of fun I deadlifted 200kg single handed hook grip.

I use straps often on deadlift sets, it saves your hands. Grip has never been a problem. As a bit of fun I deadlifted 200kg single handed hook grip.
FUN!!! Man you're one strong tiger, with a grip to match. Very inspiring indeed, bravo!
My best is two one handed chin ups, but I don't weigh 200kg, ...your grip is way too powerful Sir!

Fadi.

200kg one handed hook grip deadlift. The pain tolerance is strong in you eh. That is a great grip though. GRIP will never be your failing when maxxing. Ever.

I still cant tolerate hook grip. Mate of mine says something to dp with my long thumbs. Im probably just a pussy.

I can deadlift 180x2 with a normal double overhand grip though. I have considered using straps...but have never done it. Hands have never suffered for it personally. Toughened up by the texas bar!

Tim.

200kg one handed hook grip deadlift. The pain tolerance is strong in you eh. That is a great grip though. GRIP will never be your failing when maxxing. Ever.

I still cant tolerate hook grip. Mate of mine says something to dp with my long thumbs. Im probably just a pussy.

I can deadlift 180x2 with a normal double overhand grip though. I have considered using straps...but have never done it. Hands have never suffered for it personally. Toughened up by the texas bar!

Tim.

I don't know why but I never really got any pain from hook grip.

My left hand is weaker. On heavy deads with hook grip my left hand tries to get pealed open as it drags up my leg. So I could fail that way.

Thumbs tend to get torn up doing reps with hook grip that's when I use straps.

The Texas bar knurling is very good but I would like it rougher now that I'm used it.

FUN!!! Man you're one strong tiger, with a grip to match. Very inspiring indeed, bravo!
My best is two one handed chin ups, but I don't weigh 200kg, ...your grip is way too powerful Sir!

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi. I'm not that strong. 1 handed chins are more impressive if you ask me.

Hello Tim,

In fact the opposite of what you've said above is true. A long thumb is heaven in the sport of Olympic weightlifting where the hook grip is used. The man (one of the shortest man ever in weightlifting) had the longest thumb of all due to genetics, you may know him as Naim Suleymanoglu, aka: the pocket Hercules:

84662-004-8443858C.jpg

Weightlifters like myself who have small hands and short thumbs, learned of a way to "elongate" it by using tape. Anything to make that thumb longer whilst at the same time protecting it from being cut.

Fadi.

Thats makes alot of sense Fadi. Alot of sense. What I find impossibly painful is the crushing of the nail/end of thumb. I can handle to about 90kg...then its just insane. I guess it is just a conditioning thing.

I might try it out every pulling session and see if I cant improve the tollerance over a longer period. Id much rather be pulling with both hands over the bar than a mixed grip, as I heavily favour one mixed variation over the other.

Tim.

Of the 3 or 4 guys I know who use the hook grip, only one of them started out using a mixed grip and had to condition themselves towards the hook. He has never looked back, pulling 250x1 @75kg just the other day.

Tim.