• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Have you done the Tough Mudder or something like it

So doing TM this Saturday on the Sunny Coast but it's going to be anything but Sunny. Lots of rain predicted which is alright but looking at a temperature of around 12 degrees in the morning (feels like 8 apparently). Add to that we'll be constantly wet, with obvious ice and water thrown in, would it be worthwhile wearing a skins compression top underneath our shirts. We have team shirts made up which are dri fit but wondering if it would be worth wearing something underneath?

I wear them in the warm too stops you getting banged up so much... The one time I didn't I got a third degree burn where my shirt was rubbing on my arm... Long tights for the legs are the way to go

Finished TM on Saturday and that was just a mental slog to get through it. Last year, nice sunshine and a pleasant day and this year just rain and more rain. The normal dry tracks to run on where just sludge pits the whole 20k's so you could never really get your footing right and they certainly added alot more muddy hills and muddy pools to wade through and climb.
Failed the prediced obstacles, leap of faith where you had to jump over water and catch a net then climb up. There were 3 jumping spots to choose from ranging from closest to furtherest and we chose the furtherest. I wasn't able to leap my 106kg frame far enough to get a grip and got my fingers to the net but fell straight in, and also hangin tough, trying to sclae your way across hanging rings like a gymnast. Saw majority of people fail this one as it was so slipery with all the rain. Credit to those who did make it.
Half way through the course the cold really set in and alot of people werepulling out as they felt their muscles were just locking up on them, we had 4 fail to finish from our team.
All in all, still was a great day and I can't wait to see what sickness I have picked up this year.

Our team was also on Channel 7 news that night as well, we actually did a fundraising campaign for the last 6 months in memory of my close mates son who he lost 6 years ago (even though the news said 2).

Finished TM on Saturday and that was just a mental slog to get through it. Last year, nice sunshine and a pleasant day and this year just rain and more rain. The normal dry tracks to run on where just sludge pits the whole 20k's so you could never really get your footing right and they certainly added alot more muddy hills and muddy pools to wade through and climb.
Failed the prediced obstacles, leap of faith where you had to jump over water and catch a net then climb up. There were 3 jumping spots to choose from ranging from closest to furtherest and we chose the furtherest. I wasn't able to leap my 106kg frame far enough to get a grip and got my fingers to the net but fell straight in, and also hangin tough, trying to sclae your way across hanging rings like a gymnast. Saw majority of people fail this one as it was so slipery with all the rain. Credit to those who did make it.
Half way through the course the cold really set in and alot of people werepulling out as they felt their muscles were just locking up on them, we had 4 fail to finish from our team.
All in all, still was a great day and I can't wait to see what sickness I have picked up this year.

Our team was also on Channel 7 news that night as well, we actually did a fundraising campaign for the last 6 months in memory of my close mates son who he lost 6 years ago (even though the news said 2).
Well done mate, looks like I'm gunna have a wet one for my true grit this weekend. Should be interesting to see how I go with it.

As for the footing issue you had, I run all my courses with these, best shoes ever.
81d6c5d20fabee53ed58ada939858ce9.jpg

Well done mate. Good write up too.
Doing tough bloke this weekend and mudder later in 2014. Both with [MENTION=10519]JazDSpaz[/MENTION];

Great stuff guys! Love to see people giving it a shot and powering on through what may seem impossible at the time!

The first one I did in Sydney was like that so brutal on the legs never having stable footing

The first one I did in Sydney was like that so brutal on the legs never having stable footing

Keen to do it once more? I'm going round again and joining forces with [MENTION=10519]JazDSpaz[/MENTION]; this time. Wifey is 3 months post baby & is using that as a pathetic excuse to leave me on my pat for the race.

Keen to do it once more? I'm going round again and joining forces with [MENTION=10519]JazDSpaz[/MENTION]; this time. Wifey is 3 months post baby & is using that as a pathetic excuse to leave me on my pat for the race.

When is it? Live in Brisbane... But keen to do another.

What a poor excuse haha

I think I'm starting to get addicted to these things. Whilst I'm certainly not the strongest, fastest or fittest, it certainly builds a nice base to stay in shape and healthy. Jack of all trades so to speak.

Might give a smaller one a try within the next 6 months or so.

I think I'm starting to get addicted to these things. Whilst I'm certainly not the strongest, fastest or fittest, it certainly builds a nice base to stay in shape and healthy. Jack of all trades so to speak.

Might give a smaller one a try within the next 6 months or so.
Youve been bitten by it like me lol. 3 tough mudders and a mud run under my belt.

True grit this weekend then double TM in Nov.

I'd love to do a Spartan race or a 24 hour race, imagine the pain haha.

How much running training do you need for this? I can climb, jump, run through mud and enjoy getting repeatedly electrocuted and being set on fire. But it's been a while since I ran 10km straight (2 years), so do I need to practice some marathon running first? Or will 400m hill sprints be fit level enough for TM.

How much running training do you need for this? I can climb, jump, run through mud and enjoy getting repeatedly electrocuted and being set on fire. But it's been a while since I ran 10km straight (2 years), so do I need to practice some marathon running first? Or will 400m hill sprints be fit level enough for TM.
0b8926c4a23f59715c7b19f1a346b97c.jpg

That's the layout for my run this weekend with taurus. As you can see you don't have to run far between obstacles. I'd say you would be lucky to run 1km between obstacles.

Differant races are a bit differant though, tough mudder doesn't have as many obstacles and is slightly longer.

All depends. I had a mate who does high level BMX and does alot of sprint work and he have up after 10k's. The constant mud meant you could never run normally as your feet kinda slid out to the side with every step.
I'm 106kg, look nothing like Taurus but did hill sprints twice a week and worked my way upto a 13km run. I pulled up fine afterwards and managed the distance ok.

Quit?! lmao, bet that gets rubbed into him every time you see him afterwards.
No way am I quitting if I start something like this.. maybe on a stretcher though. I hope they have plenty of those ready.
I do like the sound of it, if you pace yourself, and wear appropriate attire, I bet it can be quite a fun day out. I just to need to convince my couch sitting, spliff loving mates of this lol.

I did it with a mate, couldn't make it past 7km, once he hit the ice bath he was acting drunk and stumbling around incoherent. Ambos said his blood pressure went through the roof. This was a guy that would go yea im gunna go run 20kms for the sake of it.

Jungman all you need is decent shoes and under armour leggings and you'll be fine, maybe gloves too.

I did is at fat fuck at 110kg walked most of it or shuffled in a group we did it in... did train a little but for distance running and walking but nothing crazy and I survived... If I were go do it again would be in better shape

Quit?! lmao, bet that gets rubbed into him every time you see him afterwards.
No way am I quitting if I start something like this.. maybe on a stretcher though. I hope they have plenty of those ready.
I do like the sound of it, if you pace yourself, and wear appropriate attire, I bet it can be quite a fun day out. I just to need to convince my couch sitting, spliff loving mates of this lol.

Lol. Him and another bloke went out like a shotgun. The other bloke ended up walking and skipping majority of the obstacles but my mate said his hips had just frozen up. Said he'd never been in so much pain before. I think the pain, the rain and cold and being in the middle of know where played mental games with him.
Now that I've done it twice he has alot more respect for me. :-D