• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GPC Nationals 2014

Its on facebook. [MENTION=9034]kaz[/MENTION]; if you are friends with patty from ptc sydney, she put it up. Dunno how to link here. :p

Tim.

That happened in the Pacific Invitational last year. I think it was Olivia K. walking out his 330kg squat when the collar slipped. Faulty lock nut. Fortunately the spotters grabbed it before any damage done. Seems like a weakness with Eleiko collars.

I was spotting and loading for 2 days. That was the only issue I saw all weekend. All misloads were caught before the weight was lifted and corrected. Fair amount of pressure to get it right a few thousand times trying to change weights in around 10 seconds.

Feel sorry for the guy though.

And yeah, I had the best seat in the house :) Bloody good long weekend.

Heh saw you working the mono... and loading/spotting bench...and loading deadlift. Haha.

It is fun actually eh. Bit of a rush when your spotting 300+ squats.

Tim.

Must certainly be exhilarating!
Do you guys practice catching failed squats or anything just in case?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Even the ones that aren't that "heavy" had me worked up! Some guys coming out for squats MEGA pumped and shaking the whole bloody mono etc. A feeling of relief when they get their squat or we caught them and they didn't die I'd say.

No practice really (although this was my first go at a big meet) but picked it up ok. One guy dropped 310kg over the top of his head and that happened SO DAMN QUICK there was no way we could have got it. Happened as he was unracking and therefore from a decent height. He would have been about 6'5" I reckon. Spiros caught him and got him out of the way and the straps caught the bar. VERY bent afterwards though. Scott's mono's held up well though.

It was interesting spotting guys benching about what I deadlift LOL. All good though.

Yeah its nuts spotting those benches. I can admit fear in those situations lol. "Dont fucken kill the guy!".

Im usually a back spot at the ptc novice comps. Thats a crazy responsibility also...full respect to Spiros Markopolous!!! He is easily the best at it.

The practice comes from just general gym training with other powerlifters. Also someone needing a spot in our gym.

Tim.

That happened in the Pacific Invitational last year. I think it was Olivia K. walking out his 330kg squat when the collar slipped. Faulty lock nut. Fortunately the spotters grabbed it before any damage done. Seems like a weakness with Eleiko collars.

They can seize up and make you think you've locked them tight. I always give them a good tug to check they're actually locked on properly.

The bar that was dumped was a new 35mm squat bar and now it looks like a buffalo bar lol
$890 down the drain

GPC Announcement
We have an important announcement in regards to World Records at the recent GPC Australia Nationals.

After announcing the dates of the 2014 Nationals at our AGM in Melbourne June last year, we were made aware some 5 months later that the GPC European Championships were being held on the same weekend as our National Championships.
This posed a rather large problem to GPC Australia in regards to breaking world records at the 2014 National Championships, as there would not be a referee from another country available to adjudicate our lifting as per the GPC rule book.
However as we had already booked the venue, and there was potentially flights already booked, and accommodation sorted, we were given an exemption to the rule by the Global GPC President Mr. Lee Marshall, which was later confirmed by a vote from the board members after Euros/our Nationals.
Just days after we had submitted the world record claim forms to the record keeper, we were extremely disappointed to find that the board had bowed to the pressure of the minority and has reversed their decision to accept our world records (please see letter attached). We are continuing to fight this ruling, but due to the conflict this has created within the Global GPC board we are not hopeful in changing their decision.
From the entire GPC Australia committee we are extremely sorry that this has occurred, especially after such a historic event. Although the records will not appear in the record books, you will be issued with official certificates to recognise the records that GPC Australia (and the majority of the Global GPC board) believe are rightfully yours.

Awesome politics.. PL deliver's again
Bad luck Aussie's who broke records, not really fair at all.

Its very unfortunate that this has happened. Most people took it on the chin and got over it straight away and put their focus on becoming a better lifter for the next meet.
The there was the one from another Federation whos natioanls are this weekend, one of that federations "premier" lifters and sponsored by the main sponsor of the nationals and worlds who posted it up on FB and insulted every one from GPC. Made himself look like a arrogant twat, and made his federation look bad plus poorly represented his sponsor (which I have a meeting with this weekend and will ask their thoughts on it)

Its very unfortunate that this has happened. Most people took it on the chin and got over it straight away and put their focus on becoming a better lifter for the next meet.
The there was the one from another Federation whos natioanls are this weekend, one of that federations "premier" lifters and sponsored by the main sponsor of the nationals and worlds who posted it up on FB and insulted every one from GPC. Made himself look like a arrogant twat, and made his federation look bad plus poorly represented his sponsor (which I have a meeting with this weekend and will ask their thoughts on it)

And that elephant in the room is Alex Lowe.