• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GPC Nationals 2014

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in GPC you're allowed to sink the bar into the chest on the descent and use your chest/ribcage for rebound when you get the press call, so long as you do not double dip (ie no further sinking/downward movement after you starting pressing). Very useful trick for raw bench.

Edit: to be fair I was watching some old 80s IPF lifting and it was allowed then too. Under the plain wording of the current IPF rules, I think the rule is the same as GPC and sinkage into the chest is also fine so long as it is not "after the bar is motionless in such a way as to make the lift easier." But I don't think it should be. In practice it might be interpreted differently. One of the PA refs here might be able to clear that up.

Last edited:
You're allowed to sink the bar in the IPF as well but many judges will delay the press call until they see that it is well and truly paused. If you look at videos of Dan Green you'll see that when he competes in RUM which has a similar set of rules to the IPF he has a much longer pause.

People say that Coan is the best PL of all time but I really think it's Fedosienko

If you go by Wilks points, it's definitely Fedosienko.

Speaking of which, pretty cool to be watching the live stream and Ed Coan casually strolls past the camera between attempts!

After receiving the signal, the lifter must lower the bar to the chest or abdominal area (the bar shall not touch the belt), hold it motionless,

So nothing in the IPF about the bar sinking into the chest, it just has to be in control or "motionless" before the press command.

But….

You can be disqualified for:

Heaving, or sinking the bar into the chest or abdominal area after it is motionless in such a way as to
make the lift easier.

Any downward movement of the whole of the bar in the course of being pressed out.

With other federations you can see some serious chest bouncing and post press command sinking into the chest to get a bounce out. That includes Mr Green as well when competing with those "any shit can pass" comps.

Have a few friends on that list. Watched a few lifts here a there today where I could.

Patricia, Anna bailey, and deborah chen (my physio haha). Have met many of the others too at last years nats. Nice to see that they have all improved quite a bit from last year.

Tim.