• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Posterior Deltoids

What exercise/s will *best develop this muscle?

multi or single joint, which is better?

*when I say "best" what do you interpret that to mean?

Good delts here make one look real strong, it's not very common to see well developed rear delts.
and I think it's quite easy.

image.jpg

For rear delts I will use with the fly machine (not peck deck) or do reverse cable flyes, I find I can target the rear delts much better then reverse db flys.

I think the trick is also to not go too far back else this will move the focus from rear delts to middle of the back, you be able to feel the tension be released from the rear delts when doing this.

I tried for a long time to do bent over DB raises, but I just can't enjoy them. I tend to do face pulls or standing rear cable flyes. I was enjoying doing a tweaked version of DB rows for a while there so that it hit the rear delts. I suspect my answer is single joint..

I've said before that I like famers walks...mine seem to grow no matter what I do.
I like pulling my sled in a 'face pull' motion too...

What exercise/s will *best develop this muscle?

multi or single joint, which is better?

*when I say "best" what do you interpret that to mean?

I interpret it to mean which exercise is going to allow or cause the most development. Like most muscles groups, I think a mixture of strength and hypertrophy movements are required, so heavier compounds with emphasis on the rear muscles like a BTN OHP and isolations like rear delt flyes or reverse cables all have their place.

I've said before that I like famers walks...mine seem to grow no matter what I do.
I like pulling my sled in a 'face pull' motion too...

I know you've mentioned them often, so many benefits to this exercise, one being they promote good posture (pulling shoulders back), but i dont think that this exercise really stimulates them mechanically, there is nothing worse than seeing some dude with "slumped" shoulders.

For rear delts I will use with the fly machine (not peck deck) or do reverse cable flyes, I find I can target the rear delts much better then reverse db flys.

I think the trick is also to not go too far back else this will move the focus from rear delts to middle of the back, you be able to feel the tension be released from the rear delts when doing this.

I think you're partially right, in that finding an exercise that works the given muscle from fully stretched to fully contracted under constant tension (mechanical work) "you'll get best bang for bucks" it's the best way to stimulate growth, but i believe the "load" needs to be really heavy and I don't think those exercises (flys) cut it.

BTN barbell press for reps.

Couldnt think of antything more boring than doing delt raises/flys.

Although being an excellent "shoulder girdle" exercise, The BTN press is doing squat for your rear delts in regards to optimal development

I tried for a long time to do bent over DB raises, but I just can't enjoy them. I tend to do face pulls or standing rear cable flyes. I was enjoying doing a tweaked version of DB rows for a while there so that it hit the rear delts. I suspect my answer is single joint..

Rows are the key, chest supported with heavy weight with a grip just wider than shoulder width allows one to really fatigue those shoulders.

I rely on back work and upright rows for my rear delts.

"back work" is the salient point here.

All forms of pulling, those big multi-joint movements biuld big rear delts.

My faves, in no order and the one's i do throughout the week and in the last 20 years solid:

chest supported row
machine pullover
deadlifts
SLDL
pull-downs
chin-ups
Farmer's

Last edited:
I usually feel the real delts the most after a big back workout rather than a shoulder workout, particular wide grip bent over rows. I've tried many variations of rear delt flies but they just feel too awkward and you have to go so light they don't feel like they're optimally working the shoulders. So now I do wide grip rows with a barbell and also dumbbell bent over rows. You can go relatively heavy and you get a good burn in the rear shoulders.

I usually feel the real delts the most after a big back workout rather than a shoulder workout, particular wide grip bent over rows. I've tried many variations of rear delt flies but they just feel too awkward and you have to go so light they don't feel like they're optimally working the shoulders. So now I do wide grip rows with a barbell and also dumbbell bent over rows. You can go relatively heavy and you get a good burn in the rear shoulders.

I think this plus the wide grip chest supported rows will probably do the trick (thanks Goosey). Cheers.

I think this plus the wide grip chest supported rows will probably do the trick (thanks Goosey). Cheers.

The thing is, with the "narrow" grip, where the hands are about 200mm apart, it really limits the ROM, it's about how far the elbow moves, with the "proper" grip you'll get another 200mm of movement, and with proper exercise it's all about the ROM baby.

Good delts here make one look real strong, it's not very common to see well developed rear delts.
and I think it's quite easy.

View attachment 9775

looking at this pic, Arnold had a short waist and long legs and for a man who had this shape had pretty well sized legs.

Also,his lats where just short and thick, compared to Olivia And Nubret.

Ultra wide grip rackpulls and rows are good.
As for Andy's suggestion of rope, I agree...I have a rope with individual handles on the tyre sled and it really burns with the extra ROM

I only deadlift and do some half assed rows
Then once a week I put a song on that's 5 minutes long, I'll grab some 18kg dumbbells and do chest supported flies until failure then move to the 9kg bells then the 4kg bells and don't stop until the song is finished

I only deadlift and do some half assed rows
Then once a week I put a song on that's 5 minutes long, I'll grab some 18kg dumbbells and do chest supported flies until failure then move to the 9kg bells then the 4kg bells and don't stop until the song is finished

I didn't think you liked 5?

when you say chest supported, you mean you're lying chest down on a bench and doing them? or is it on an incline.

Rear delt flys and rear delt rows

whoever said BTN press for rear delts.. this is an anterior delt movement and to some degree lateral delts, triceps and traps. rear delt is transversely extends the humerus