• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Judging the Squat Depth

kaz

iLift
“A legal squat is performed when the top of the upper thigh at the hip (the “crease” of the hip) passes below the height of the knee.”

Why are some Federations still passing high squats in competition?
For the glory of the fed? The lifter? Skimping on judge talents?

What image does it portray in the Powerlifting sport?

Do 3 white lights really mean a good lift when replay shows a higher than legal depth squat?

Are video referee's over-the-top?

What is the worst passing in competition that you know about?

its seems to be, because so many high lifts get passed.

I have judged at three comps, but all my decisions were 100% right, I hope.

I've reffed thousands of squats at local, national and international meets, and it's not that hard.

High squats get passed for reasons that have nothing to do with he referees ability.

Cos its not just lifters with ego. Feds have split off for a reason. With a diluted lifting pool, it's kinda embarrassing if you have a comp and 80% of the lifts are red lighted. So you pass the dodgy ones but then you have to pass higher ones.

When it comes to world records, you can understand, but probably not condone, why a Westside meet being judged by louie simmons passes a squat so high it would look OK in a nursing home. They want the cache of having a world record.

For a trained judge, its not that difficult to make an accurate decision. Also, you have 3 judges so if one gets a bit wobbly, chances are that the other two are accurate. Its not a perfect world and maybe some may fail a squat or get passed for a squat that should have been judged otherwise. But in the big picture, if the judges just did their job the results will be pretty accurate.

It's not that hard to judge, soft suits make it easy and as long as there is no dive bombing you should be able to tell.

Some big Multi-ply lifts in the U.S will pass regardless because of who it is or who is running the meet.

Just install a hawkeye for squats that can laser pinpoint the hip crease in relation to knee height and bazinga! You have an accurate model for judging/referee/dispute

Video reffing won't work...I'm sure that's what cricketers and footy players said once...

Video reffing won't work...I'm sure that's what cricketers and footy players said once...

You don't have the time and extra viewpoints in PL. The refs should be looking from the best vantage points, not cameras, and fixed cameras don't take into account the different individual levers and parallel points for each lifter. Then appealing to a video ref for every damn missed rep and then all the constant replays will make a meet take forever.

Been suggested a million times before by every backseat ref, not happening.

The solution is simple: squat to depth.

The reason so many fail depth in the squat is because they don't train to depth. If most of your reps are "to parallel" then you gonna get red lighted at a meet. Proper depth is not "to parallel", it's deeper than that.

Either video every rep from the side and review during rest periods or get an eyeball on it from your gym buddy. The vid is preferable cos it will not turn up late, will not be looking at the hottie in yoga pants stretching while you squat and will not say, "its all you bro". Plus you can replay and pause it as much as you want.

Just set it up dead side on at the same height as your thigh when you are in the hole. Simple. If you wear your lifting singlet or something that aint baggy you should see very clearly how your depth is going.