• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Neck work

Bazza20

Seem to keep hurting my neck playing footy this year.

Any ideas on neck strengthening?

Do the rugby guys do any specific neck stuff?

Try bridging Baz, but instead on of shoulders on the floor, do it on your head.
Doy you really want a thick neck though?
My missues has the standard joke every xmas and bday that she's gonna buy me neck a present, plus shirts will never button up.

I was going to say that as that's the usual method Boxers and Wrestles use, but they say bridges can be dangerous - but I guess everything can be.

I was going to say that as that's the usual method Boxers and Wrestles use, but they say bridges can be dangerous - but I guess everything can be.

Yes, true, never move in full circles, always come back same path.
Good exercise, works back and core also.

There has been a lot of talk in gridiron over the last 4 years about the importance on a strong neck and grip, and how a strong neck can help reduce the incidence of concussion.

i own a 4 way neck machine which is pretty good.

if you don't have a machine...

*for the front muscles of the neck, while lying on a bench you can use a small plate placed on the forehead
*for the muscles at the rear (trap's) shrugs are as good as any exercise
* for the muscles at the side! Manual resistance, Holding a towel that is wrapped around the head.

one or two rep's 10-12 is sufficient to build muscular strength, once a week.

some have found it more useful splitting the the four movements into two, like forward and back movement monday

side to side movement on a Thursday

I think I remember underground elite having those neck harness/straps for weighted neck exercises

I prefer as with most exercises full range of movement, as in fully extended to fully contracted and and full resistance through that ROM, rather than a static (isometric).

Doy you really want a thick neck though?
My missues has the standard joke every xmas and bday that she's gonna buy me neck a present, plus shirts will never button up.

Thanks, will have a look at it.

Shirts don't button up anyway.

There has been a lot of talk in gridiron over the last 4 years about the importance on a strong neck and grip, and how a strong neck can help reduce the incidence of concussion.

i own a 4 way neck machine which is pretty good.

if you don't have a machine...

*for the front muscles of the neck, while lying on a bench you can use a small plate placed on the forehead
*for the muscles at the rear (trap's) shrugs are as good as any exercise
* for the muscles at the side! Manual resistance, Holding a towel that is wrapped around the head.

one or two rep's 10-12 is sufficient to build muscular strength, once a week.

some have found it more useful splitting the the four movements into two, like forward and back movement monday

side to side movement on a Thursday

Yeah I already do plenty of shrugs but after hurting my neck a few times this year have been looking at what else I can do.

Does the job for me, 73kg lean currently and neck is topping out at 17.3"
Sets of 20 forwards and backwards once a week. I don't go side to side or do rotational work.

Thats good, how do you set yourself up on this, even better, for us..could you post a video?

Anyone do the old school way of tying a cloth around a plate and biting down on the cloth to use it that way? l've seen people do it in a couple of muay thai gyms.

I had just read an article from Jim Wendler about neck training the other week; I'd never heard of it before. Is there any real noticeable difference doing these excercises, or is this like training calves (i.e. genetics are more likely to be the determining factor).