• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
concur with dicko, bottom line is you do it for yourself. Certainly, PL or BB beats sitting on your arse and doing nothing.

concur with dicko, bottom line is you do it for yourself. Certainly, PL or BB beats sitting on your arse and doing nothing.
100%. I see powerlifting for me as nothing more than a pursuit to be better than i was yesterday. I give no fuck for drugs. Or the people using them. Each to thier own. i want to know how far i can push limit strength without it all...pretty far i reckon. I enjoy it. I enjoy lifting in front of a crowd on a platform and nailing a pb. I enjoy the entire process that is getting bigger and stronger.

yes, you are doing well Tim, great attitude and great results.

Good thing about a comp is setting a goal for a certain day and achieving it; does not matter really if you win or lose as you compete mostly against yourself.

Having said that, I keep pulling out of comps this year because nothing seems to be going right. I will see if I can get it together for Dec. comp, although I find it hard to motivate for heavy lifting these days. Will never stop training though; I just mix it up.

Thanks spart. I do what i can!

I'd really like to see you hit that platform in December mate. Im going to volunteer at that one. Unless i compete in single lift haha

This is what I love about powerlifting. its for literally anyone at any stage in life your never too late to make something of it. I look forward to competing in December myself, its great to have a goal it gives meaning it gives all that time spent in the gym a purpose. I dont have to be a victim of my past or my circumstance genetic or environmental.

Last edited:
bairly natty, thats not even half natty if it cost a thousand dollards, thats full blown dark side von.

atlest with bb you actually care how you look. i think this is important in our obese populations and its strain on the medical system.

atlest with bb you actually care how you look. i think this is important in our obese populations and its strain on the medical system.
The problem with this statement is your assumption that PL guys dont care how they look. They may seem not too...but they generally do in my experience.
Most look decent anyway these days as being leaner is better for the sport. To a point. (More so in the lighter classes - 110 and below. although we are starting to see some of the bigger classes competing lean now also. Crazy).

most don't, few do. FACT.

whereas every bodybuilder absolutely cares how they look, and lifts.

Because of this I reckon comp BB'ers go to more extreme lengths to make sure they look tops, like radical diets and supps that even mad scientists can't pronounce. So it probably not the most healthiest sport around lmao.

Bodybuilders care how they look because that's exactly the point of bodybuilding. I'd be like powerlifters mocking bodybuilders due to their 1RM. Pointless comparison.

Because of this I reckon comp BB'ers go to more extreme lengths to make sure they look tops, like radical diets and supps that even mad scientists can't pronounce. So it probably not the most healthiest sport around lmao.

yet powerlifters wont be mad scientists to lift an extra plate
cmon

FYI I'm the only powerlifter in this area (that I know of) who weighs >90kg. I don't blame you though, I used to assume that all natty powerlifters were fat fucks too lol.

I agree with you too Vonfram, the fake macho crap makes me cringe.

tbh Powerlifting isn't as important to me now as my other sports - til PA decides to start doing a bit more directly for its members I can't see it progressing.

I also heard that apparently to compete as a weightlifter, you NEED to have a coach?

I also heard that apparently to compete as a weightlifter, you NEED to have a coach?
Not exactly. You can see here, that you must be a member of the federal and your state weightlifting association, and to do that you must be part of an affiliated club. For a club to be affiliated, it must have a coach listed, and this coach must be at least level 1 by the AWF system, which is just a weekend seminar and some documented coaching practice afterwards (the higher levels have higher requirements, level is basically introducing you to the lifts). Your coach does not have to be present at your meets, nor does anyone have to present evidence they actually coach you. So you could join some club, do your own thing, pay all the fees, then compete.

Remember the system is formalised with the aim of working with the systems of international competition, the IWF and IOOC and so on. It's not aimed at people who just want to show up and give it a go. This is also the distinction between PA and the other feds. Now, we can argue about how well they do it... but that's the theory.

If I remember the numbers right, in 2014 we had 842 registered AWF coaches... and 462 people competed. Vic alone has 35 clubs (see here). So there is no shortage of coaches looking for athletes.

Last edited:
FYI I'm the only powerlifter in this area (that I know of) who weighs >90kg. I don't blame you though, I used to assume that all natty powerlifters were fat fucks too lol.

I agree with you too Vonfram, the fake macho crap makes me cringe.

tbh Powerlifting isn't as important to me now as my other sports - til PA decides to start doing a bit more directly for its members I can't see it progressing.

Boz, what are your main sporting goals at present?