• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calorie calculators for bulking

hugoti

What's with the huge discrepancy with online calorie calculators?

Trying to find what is my calorie count should be for bulking. Here are my stats

41 years old male
177cm height
75 kgs

I tried bodybuilding.com online web site and it calculated 2475 whereas venom protein website said 2938 for the same stats! IIFYM states 2505 for text book bulk at 10% of TDEE. So which one is correct?
FYI I've currently just started bulking with 2330 calories per day - is that on par or should it be more based on my stats and how much more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pick one. Say 2400 or 2500. Eat bang on that for 2 weeks. Weigh yourself. Average the weekly increase for each week. You'll notice of losing, gaining or sitting the same weight. Depending what the scale says, modify your cals appropriately

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

^^ What he said. Everyone is a bit different and may need more or less cals to maximise mass gain. I would say 2300 is a little low though.
You may gain half a kg a month or something. Im on 3000, aiming for a kilo a month and I'm shorter and lighter!

For bulking it's easy, can eat pretty much like an animal.
If you start to get too puffy, back off a little.

For bulking it's easy, can eat pretty much like an animal.
If you start to get too puffy, back off a little.

You can eat like an animal if you don't mind turning into a fat mess. If you want to bulk with minimal fat gain its pretty much eating like you are cutting but slightly higher calories.

You can eat like an animal if you don't mind turning into a fat mess. If you want to bulk with minimal fat gain its pretty much eating like you are cutting but slightly higher calories.

You can back off Baz, its much easier than cutting, getting close to that fine line.

You can back off Baz, its much easier than cutting, getting close to that fine line.

For me anyway I find that slow bulk harder than cutting.

Cutting you just have the mindset. Stick to the calorie limit and never go over. With bulking you relax have a couple blow outs which you tell yourself is ok because its bulking and then I've packed on 5kg over a weekend.

For me anyway I find that slow bulk harder than cutting.

Cutting you just have the mindset. Stick to the calorie limit and never go over. With bulking you relax have a couple blow outs which you tell yourself is ok because its bulking and then I've packed on 5kg over a weekend.

I could not agree more with this - cutting is easy I find - its the mental thing thats hard but once your couple weeks in even that goes. Bulking is a different beast - start with the low end of your calories just over maintance and then work from there - really just an limit weight gain to 1-2kgs per week if possible.

But I totally agree with Bazz - the mental aspect is nearly harder than cutting - "Oh I am bulking, I can eat whatever I like" nek minute - weekend is gone and you have gone from 105kgs - 110kgs and then you need to do the fuck around to nearly drop cals below maintance to fix it to get back on track.

All in all in my 12 yrs of lifting Bulking has always been harder than cutting - as I said just low - work your way up....

I could not agree more with this - cutting is easy I find - its the mental thing thats hard but once your couple weeks in even that goes. Bulking is a different beast - start with the low end of your calories just over maintance and then work from there - really just an limit weight gain to 1-2kgs per week if possible.

But I totally agree with Bazz - the mental aspect is nearly harder than cutting - "Oh I am bulking, I can eat whatever I like" nek minute - weekend is gone and you have gone from 105kgs - 110kgs and then you need to do the fuck around to nearly drop cals below maintance to fix it to get back on track.

All in all in my 12 yrs of lifting Bulking has always been harder than cutting - as I said just low - work your way up....

Ideally for me 1 kg a month is plenty. I mean I'm not gaining 12 kg of muscle a year.

I would be more than happy with 2kg of muscle a year.

yep, around 600 extra calories to build pound of muscle, 3500 less calories to lose or gain pound of fat.

Yep. Bulking isn't an excuse to eat what you want. When I started earlier this year, my diet stayed 90% the same as maintenance, just larger serving sizes.

For the OP, 2400 seems a little low for your height and weight. How fast do you want to put on weight? I would bump it up to around 2800 and see how you go. As others have said, putting on 1kg a month is ideal.