• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fatiguing muscle groups prior to doing compound lifts

TESTOSTERONE NATION | Christian Thibaudeau Log 1 - Page 1

As I teased in a previous entry, I believe that for maximum GROWTH you need to use both high threshold and hypertrophication methods. Now, the two traditional approaches are:

1) Do the high threshold/heavy work early in the workout then do the hypertrophy work

2) Do the high threshold work in one workout and the hypertrophy work in a later session, normally 3-4 days afterwards.

I personally believe that none of these are truly optimal.

What I'm experimenting with is doing the hypertrophy work THE DAY AFTER high threshold work.

For example I could do heavy bench press on monday and on tuesday hypertrophy work would be done for the muscles involved in the bench press (pectorals, triceps, delts).

My reasoning is as follow:

1) Protein synthesis is upregulated in a trained muscle after training and remains elevated for a 24 hours period. However numerous studies have shown that it can take as much as 72 hours for a muscle to rebuild itself after an intense session.

2) Everytime you train a muscle you upregulate protein synthesis in that muscle. With the use of Micro-PA that upregulation is even more important.

3) By doing hypertrophy work that has little impact on the nervous system 24 hours after you've done heavy work for a group of muscles you basically extend the duration of the period where there is an upregulated protein synthesis in that muscle. Which means that the second session can actually make the muscles you trained on your heavy day get rebuilt faster and grow larger.

4) This is a personal experience: when you train a muscle two days in a row, the mind-muscle connection is A TON greater on that second day. When doing hypertrophy work on a second day you become that much better at recruiting a targeted muscle.This is particularly interesting if you have a lagging body part that you can't "feel".

I started playing with that idea when I trained IFBB pro Daryl Gee. And got a glimpse of what it could do but it wasn't optimal yet.

The methods you want to use on that second day should be based on constant tension training... feeling the muscle do the work every inch of every rep... on that day it's NOT about "reps" or "weight" but rather on flexing the muscles against a resistance. We never want to relax the muscle during any point of the set.

YES these methods will create a big pump, but the pump itself isn't really the goal. The goal is focusing on having the muscles maximally tensed during every millisecond of every set!!!

BTW, since I believe that frequency of training is king I do not simply do high threshold for a muscle on day 1 then hypertrophy for that muscle on day 2 then switch muscle on day 3. It's a bit more complex than that to get maximal result.

You'll soon be granted the chance of knowing the whole story ;)

Stay tuned!

Page 2 he outlines his program

Still cant believe the farce you blokes made over this

I don't think anyone made a farce over anything here, except for yourself accusing Fadi of plagarism - that's what "word for word" is for those playing at home and then back-peddling so rapidly out of it.

TESTOSTERONE NATION | Christian Thibaudeau Log 1 - Page 1

As I teased in a previous entry, I believe that for maximum GROWTH you need to use both high threshold and hypertrophication methods. Now, the two traditional approaches are:

1) Do the high threshold/heavy work early in the workout then do the hypertrophy work

2) Do the high threshold work in one workout and the hypertrophy work in a later session, normally 3-4 days afterwards.

I personally believe that none of these are truly optimal.

What I'm experimenting with is doing the hypertrophy work THE DAY AFTER high threshold work.

For example I could do heavy bench press on monday and on tuesday hypertrophy work would be done for the muscles involved in the bench press (pectorals, triceps, delts).

My reasoning is as follow:

1) Protein synthesis is upregulated in a trained muscle after training and remains elevated for a 24 hours period. However numerous studies have shown that it can take as much as 72 hours for a muscle to rebuild itself after an intense session.

2) Everytime you train a muscle you upregulate protein synthesis in that muscle. With the use of Micro-PA that upregulation is even more important.

3) By doing hypertrophy work that has little impact on the nervous system 24 hours after you've done heavy work for a group of muscles you basically extend the duration of the period where there is an upregulated protein synthesis in that muscle. Which means that the second session can actually make the muscles you trained on your heavy day get rebuilt faster and grow larger.

4) This is a personal experience: when you train a muscle two days in a row, the mind-muscle connection is A TON greater on that second day. When doing hypertrophy work on a second day you become that much better at recruiting a targeted muscle.This is particularly interesting if you have a lagging body part that you can't "feel".

I started playing with that idea when I trained IFBB pro Daryl Gee. And got a glimpse of what it could do but it wasn't optimal yet.

The methods you want to use on that second day should be based on constant tension training... feeling the muscle do the work every inch of every rep... on that day it's NOT about "reps" or "weight" but rather on flexing the muscles against a resistance. We never want to relax the muscle during any point of the set.

YES these methods will create a big pump, but the pump itself isn't really the goal. The goal is focusing on having the muscles maximally tensed during every millisecond of every set!!!

BTW, since I believe that frequency of training is king I do not simply do high threshold for a muscle on day 1 then hypertrophy for that muscle on day 2 then switch muscle on day 3. It's a bit more complex than that to get maximal result.

You'll soon be granted the chance of knowing the whole story ;)

Stay tuned!

Page 2 he outlines his program

Still cant believe the farce you blokes made over this

First of all I thank you for posting that article, it's very much appreciated.
Second of all, that's not what I've said back in 2009, and it's not what I'm still saying now in 2014.

Mr Christian Thibaudeau is making a distinction and a separation between lifting heavy and lifting for size. That is not what I'm doing. All I'm doing and saying, is you break down the muscle in the gym on day one, then you follow that degradation of muscle and nutrients by applying a form of supercompensation in the way of shuttling some very much needed nutrient filled blood right into those muscle fibers which you've blasted on that previous night etc.

I'm saying that on that next day, your muscles have just been through a state which has placed them in a catabolic environment, and now they are ready and craving to switch back into an anabolic environment. You can eat in a good and normal way as you would usually do, but why not facilitate and speed up the delivery of much needed nutrients to those broken down muscle fibers, and "spoonfeed" them if you will by providing a bus service that has as its load: your own nutrient filled blood,..delivered right into those muscle fibers through 100 rep blood pumping action. If anything, it would at least make that muscle feel less tight and would help enable it to recover in a shorter amount of time as compared to just relying on the usual time factor without any help from that "shuttle bus" service I call the 100 pumping reps.

Fadi.

Last edited: