• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
What are the rules of the descent of the deadlift.

IPF: "7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands, i.e.: releasing the bar from the palms of the hand."

In other words, you cannot drop the bar. You have to maintain contact, or grip, on the bar until it's on the platform. There is no further detail beyond that so if the bar bounces up and you lose your grip, that is not a cause for a red light. Dropping the bar from lockout is, losing grip on the way down is. Some refs get a bit narky if you lower very quickly (i.e. drop the bar but stay with it) but the rules do not specify how slow or controlled the lowering may be.

Capo etc: "7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands." So, the same.

Not taking away from the lift, but how many lifts have been red lighted because of a stumble after a successful squat, or a small shuffle on the feet once the bench has been initiated.

Themes the rules. Its all about control of the weight. If you start letting people throw chit around without control, you introduce a danger factor beyond a controlled lift. The idea is to use power to powerlift, not momentum or other tricksy Gollumesque funny business.

ca1d1-gollum2_copy.jpg

Not all feds use the same gear either - IPF doesn't use a monolift for example, and the rules about squat depth or knee wraps etc vary from fed to fed.

CAPO/WPC and IPF have the same rules on depth. Crease at hip below the top of the knee. The issue is that refs, for various political reasons, seem to be "crease blind". I have two words for you: Dave Hoff. Dat half squat, bro, be a "world record". Yep, thats as deep as he got. This is why multiple feds are a joke. And any run and judged by Westside/Louie Simmons.

HalfSquat.jpg

And lets just say that CAPO reffing at their Nationals last year left a lot to be desired, in both directions!

You needed a step ladder to measure the international lifter's depth but then invited GPC lifters were dragging their nuts on the floor and getting redlighted.

IPF: "7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands, i.e.: releasing the bar from the palms of the hand."

In other words, you cannot drop the bar. You have to maintain contact, or grip, on the bar until it's on the platform. There is no further detail beyond that so if the bar bounces up and you lose your grip, that is not a cause for a red light. Dropping the bar from lockout is, losing grip on the way down is. Some refs get a bit narky if you lower very quickly (i.e. drop the bar but stay with it) but the rules do not specify how slow or controlled the lowering may be.

Capo etc: "7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands." So, the same.

Themes the rules. Its all about control of the weight. If you start letting people throw chit around without control, you introduce a danger factor beyond a controlled lift. The idea is to use power to powerlift, not momentum or other tricksy Gollumesque funny business.

ca1d1-gollum2_copy.jpg

Yes I know them rules, I should have been more specific. What is the ruling on the fact that he is practically airborne before the bar reaches the ground.

Interesting, but I still believe it does not resemble a dead-lift per-say.

Then one does not understand the definition of a deadlift, ie. Lifting a barbell from a dead stop in the ground, . There is nothing in the definition dictating where the feet must be, how far the bar must travel, etc. This is a deadlift whether you like it or not and is perfectly legal in the competition where it was performed. Hence repetitive questioning of its legitimacy is unwarranted and will not be tolerated. We've had this discussion before. Move on.

Then one does not understand the definition of a deadlift, ie. Lifting a barbell from a dead stop in the ground, . There is nothing in the definition dictating where the feet must be, how far the bar must travel, etc. This is a deadlift whether you like it or not and is perfectly legal in the competition where it was performed. Hence repetitive questioning of its legitimacy is unwarranted and will not be tolerated. We've had this discussion before. Move on.
We weren't questioning it's legitimacy in competition Freako however, our statement that it does not resemble a deadlift is as legitimate as your statement that it is a deadlift.
What's happened here is that someone has butchered it's definition and execution.

Last edited:
I can understand why we can't stir up forum members, but I can't understand how we can't discuss the movement style of an exercise.

Big deal that it is a legitimate part of sport; we should be able to discuss it

We weren't questioning it's legitimacy in competition Freako however, our statement that it does not resemble a deadlift is as legitimate as your statement that it is a deadlift.
What's happened here is that someone has butchered it's definition and execution.

No there's no correlation at all. It resembles a deadlift because it is fucking deadlift.

Its a Powerlifitng Competition Deadlift, a PCD. Perfectly legal in Powerlifting competitions but not a strict Deadlift.

Hows that. Stick that in the Funk n Wagnalls! ;)