• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
140 is shit for a 90kg guy. Even a bber

Yep. I don't know how someone who regularly squats at that weight couldn't do much more than than no matter how they train. Shows lack of effort in training. I do notice when I'm pissed I'm a lot weaker so maybe that's a reason as well.

80% of the low bar squat. Probably about 85% of high bar squat

Correction. FS was 190kg a few months ago and at that time I would have struggled to do 200kg back squat. so 95%. I was having some back problems and bursitis.

zero right now because my neck is broken. But it will heal and I will get that elusive raw 200kg front squat one day.

how does your front squat strength compare to your back squat ?
97.5%, but that is the exception and not the rule in Olympic weightlifting where front squats play a critical role in that sport. The people here who said that the difference is around the 85% mark are 100% correct.

Looking back, I see that I was built for front squats, as it felt extremely natural to me, and the difference between the numbers of my back and front squat made that evidently clear. Based on those numbers, the AIS coaches had me front squatting 4x/week and only once a week back squatting. I even remember Ronnie Laycock asking our coach Harry Wardle, as to why he and the other lifters weren't given the same squat program (high frequency front squats) as me, and was simply told you guys need it (more back squats for brute strength), Fadi doesn't.

The only difference between me and everyone else in the squad (that I can think of for this unique case) was perhaps my background in gymnastics, and the extra flexibility and mobility it must have created for me. That is why I would recommend for anyone who wishes to excel in their front squats, to include/introduce the kang squat to their weekly squat routine.

I know that some people here (Darkoz is one if I remember correctly), do not like the good morning exercise much if at all, and I can appreciate that as I didn't either until I understood one fundamental point with that exercise. You do not initiate the movement with your chest, i.e. bending forward no. You initiate the movement with your hips instead, and due to your hips moving, or dropping/sitting/sticking back, your chest follows/drops down as a result. If you focus on first tilting your chest forward, your whole body locks into a wrong position and you end up placing tremendous stress/pressure on your lower back. Another point to remember with the Kang squats is, your feet positioning/stance width should be exactly how you feel comfortable when squatting, and not when you simply starting a good morning exercise.

Last edited:
fadi, Stellios told me once his best squats were 210kg (back) and 180kg (front) when he was at best lifting 180kg.

Respectfully I just don't know about this, I believe the squat and the sldl and their variants need to be treated as individual movements.

one thing I don't like about good mornings compared to sldl's is the safety aspect.

the bar quickly moves away from the midline, dramatically increasing the leverage, which ultimately Increases the resistance on the bar, loading the back way too quick for my liking , the other thing I don't like is the fact that when the back fatigues it's a lot harder to dump compared the the sldl.

traditionally the sldl is done with stiff, straight legs.

it a lower back movement primarily, and the lower back is not to be messed with.

Last edited:
fadi, Stellios told me once his best squats were 210kg (back) and 180kg (front) when he was at best lifting 180kg.
I remember Bill Stellios was exiting the sport as I was entering it. And I heard our coaches (at the AIS) remark on his amazing talent as a lifter back then, and equally on his stubbornness in that he opted to train himself instead of getting some coaching, hence it was down hill for him after winning gold at the Commonwealth games.

As for what Bill had told you, I honestly can't say. However I find the numbers (especially the front squat ones) don't make much sense if he could clean and jerk 180kg, and front squat a max of 180kg. Let me tell you why I say this.

The norm in Olympic weightlifting, is for a lifter to front squat 85% of his max back squat. Another norm, is for a lifter to clean and jerk 85% of his front squat. As you know, I front squatted 195kg and cleaned and jerked 160kg; that was 82% of my front squat weight (before I quickly exited the sport)! For Bill to front squat 180kg and clean and jerk 180kg does not make sense, as there'd be no way in #@%* you'd be able to get up with the weight and then after all that, still have some reserves to jerk it overhead. What Bill did, was jerk 85% of his maximum back squat instead. That's how I read it.

I remember the middle weight silver medalist from the Moscow Olympics, our own Tony Pignone walking in front of my lifting platform (when he was visiting the AIS), and made a comment when seeing me squat, something to the effect of , "man you young blokes, if I (we) could squat like you, we'd be lifting world records!" It was nice and encouraging hearing that from the Champ at the time, even though now I know that a big squat does not necessarily mean a big clean and jerk where it counts most, on the lifting platform.

Last edited:
mate, I was there at the gym he trained at. he could clean his best front squat, bad luck if you don't believe it.

as for coaching himself, all power to him. no need for a coach if you know what you are doing. He won a few commonwealth golds, so he did alright.

Respectfully I just don't know about this, I believe the squat and the sldl and their variants need to be treated as individual movements.

one thing I don't like about good mornings compared to sldl's is the safety aspect.

the bar quickly moves away from the midline, dramatically increasing the leverage, which ultimately Increases the resistance on the bar, loading the back way too quick for my liking , the other thing I don't like is the fact that when the back fatigues it's a lot harder to dump compared the the sldl.

traditionally the sldl is done with stiff, straight legs.

it a lower back movement primarily, and the lower back is not to be messed with.

I hear what you're saying Andy and I understand your concern. I'd also be concerned if one turns a mobility movement into some strength challenging movement as when you compare these two athletes for example:

A crazy/insane 225kg!!

A sensible/sane 40kg (you can't even begin to compare the intensity of the [vastly] different loads).

Having said that, I'm not suggesting for a moment people do an exercise that does not sit well with them, for whatever reason.

yes, but I knew the coaches around at the time. My opinion; he was smarter than the others.

I think of other champs who coach themselves, current javelin champ from Kenya, and the great ed moses.

It is harder, but some are just smart and don't need anyone.

mate, I was there at the gym he trained at. he could clean his best front squat, bad luck if you don't believe it.
Great if you say so mate, you were there I wasn't , so I believe you. You and Bill must be in an exceptional group who could clean what they front squatted, I (and the majority) are not part of that exception. I respect that.

I hear what you're saying Andy and I understand your concern. I'd also be concerned if one turns a mobility movement into some strength challenging movement as when you compare these two athletes for example:

A crazy/insane 225kg!!

A sensible/sane 40kg (you can't even begin to compare the intensity of the [vastly] different loads).

Having said that, I'm not suggesting for a moment people do an exercise that does not sit well with them, for whatever reason.

Your concern is exactly what I'm saying, the weight on the bar is moot as leverages and biomechanics will be different from one person to the next.

i still think results would be better if both movements were treated as a mobility exercise in its own right.

As you say; thank you for your input I understand where you are coming from and we'll leave it at that

for myself, although never that strong, I could also power clean 120kg at time, so it as rather easy for me to get in right full clean position without too much effort. it was almost like walking out of rack to do a front squat. my back was by far my strongest body part.

my mate was opposite, he could front squat much more than he could clean.

As for Stellios, maybe he never went flat out with front squat in training. All I remember was him telling me at training that 180kg was his best.