• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Push Pull Legs (with extra days rest)

That's a good point about being able to superset because I often find that I have to superset things to get through my workout in time.

In saying that, I am currently considering giving this type of push, pull, legs routine (from oldschooltrainer.com):

Day One – Pull
Deadlifts (conventional, sumo or partial aka “rack pulls”) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Rows (barbell, dumbbell, machine or t-bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Weighted pull ups, chins or Barbell or dumbbell curls – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Two - Push
Flat, incline or decline barbell, dumbbell, of machine bench press – 5 sets x5 reps
Military, dumbbell or machine press – 5 sets x 5 reps
Dips or close-grip bench press – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Three - Legs
Back or front squats – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Leg Press – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Standing or seated calf raises – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps

(http://oldschooltrainer.com/3-day-push-pull-legs/
)

Ideally though I would like to add an extra upper body day so it goes Upper (8-12 rep range)/Lower/Rest/Push/Pull/Rest/Rest. I just don't like the idea of a rotating schedule (so that legs gets equal treatment) and would prefer to do it this way. 5 days a week is quite unlikely to be achieved so really it would just be a twist on PHAT.

no direct arm work there [MENTION=10506]judgey[/MENTION]; You're also Supersetting the same muscle group I assume, brutal.

Hmm, well the third exercise of each day is bicep, tricep or calf work so I don't think that's an issue. The inability to superset on the push or pull days is probably more of an issue from a flexibility of the routine perspective though (i.e. when short on time). Like I said, it's still under consideration (partly because I haven't done much 5x5 work so I thought it might be a good change).

Perhaps the answer is to alternate between your method of push/pull/legs and this other way.. hmm. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hmm, well the third exercise of each day is bicep, tricep or calf work so I don't think that's an issue. The inability to superset on the push or pull days is probably more of an issue from a flexibility of the routine perspective though (i.e. when short on time). Like I said, it's still under consideration (partly because I haven't done much 5x5 work so I thought it might be a good change).

Perhaps the answer is to alternate between your method of push/pull/legs and this other way.. hmm. Cheers.

sorry mate. Missed the Curls and Close Grip Benches.

I don't think you should superset 5x5 work. The weight you should be lifting for that low rep range won't leave much in the tank for the second set.

I also think legs need more than 8-12 sets per week.