• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Long post about Sciatica and 'back' issues

jmc123

Hi folks,

Please forgive me for I'm about to make your ears bleed with a long-ish post about a dilemma I've been having for the past 12 months.

Taurus, I was going to send you a PM about this as we have both had the same procedure (micro-d at L5/S1) however I thought I would also 'throw' it out there to the other members of AUSBB as well.

In summary:
* Blew out my L5 in 2008 and had a micro-d in 2009.
* Rehabbed and got back to lifting but modified things somewhat
* No issues until April 2013. Started having leg pain again (right leg, same as before), but was mostly burning this time (as opposed to sharp, shooting pain) and would come and go rather than constant. Seemed to get worse with activity.
* Doctors, MRI's, CT scans, pilates, physio, osteo, rheumatologists etc.. no one really had any answers.
* Scans showed marked loss of disc height at L5/S1 coupled with facet joint hypertrophy. Small bulge at L4/5 but most pointed to the L5/S1 as being the culperit and the only options were (1) medicate (which I've been doing until now with Mobic (NSAID) and Panadol Osteo and Lyrica) ; or (2) surgery (L5/S1 interbody fusion, most likely approached from the front).
* Continuing to train but not doing ANYTHING that causes compressive loads (no SQ)... so bench, chest supported rows, chins, lunges, one legged leg press, flyes etc.. some light deadlifts (30kg). Training is the only thing keeping me in one piece. The neuro commented that he could see from the MRI that I have a good amount of muscle around my core and lower back. Training is probably the only thing keeping me in one piece.

The sciatica is worst first thing in the morning. It's not debilitating but I'm aware of it and have become, more or less, hypersensitive to the pain. I have a desk job right now but am probably going to be going into a more physical line of work next year (it's a dream and I dont want to negotiate on this) and I'm quite confused as to whether I'd be better of just getting the surgery done and hoping it goes well enough for me to get on with life.. or simply manage the symptoms and wait for it to get to the point where I have no other choice.

Back pain is complicated. There are loads of people with degeneration in their spines (including bulging discs) and are not even in pain or aware of it. Unfortunately, I am.

One thing that has helped recently is I saw an endo who performed bloods and saw that my free testosterone was low. He put me on TRT. It's only been a week but I feel better already.

My question is: what would you personally do in this situation? I realise it's somewhat irresponsible and silly to ask this type of question from strangers on the interwebs who (I'm assuming) have no medical qualifications but that's not really the point.

You are all active and love lifting (as I do), so if you were in this predicament, what would you do?

It's a serious question and I'd appreciate your input.

Juice away!
This probably has some relevance to the thread on guilty steroid use but I wouldn't want anyone to wade thru the pile of crap that thread has become.

End of the day, if above all else it fixes your pain and if you are morally fine with it, then it's nobody else's business. But I guess you have some questions about the morality of it all if your asking here?

Thanks for your reply mate.

There's no moral issue for me as 1. I'm not competing ; and 2. It's prescribed.

Problem is: the AAS won't repair the disc (the oxandralone might though).

But in all seriousness, it has given me
more focus at work, drive, energy and I'm not as 'tuned in' to the pain. I'm aware of it but it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Interestingly, most GP's wanted to heavily medicate me with anti depressants which have an OFF label use for neuropathic pain. I said "hell no" to that.

But from your reply it sounds like this is preferable to being sliced open.

Well I guess it depends.
What you're doing now would be preferable to anti depressants but not to surgery if it doesn't fix the issue. What happens when the TRT has run its course, say your natural levels respond and it's recommended you come off, then what? Look at surgery again?

I don't see the point of coming off mate. At almost 40, my t levels are probably not going to return to 'normal', I don't plan on having children and if I do come off then I simply have low test levels to look forward to? I'm not taking supra physiologic levels of AAS to get 'swole'. It's simply for a better quality of life at this point. Maybe that logic is f-ed up but that's what I'm thinking at this point.

Nothing repairs a disc. It's degenerative. They are avascular and receive little/no blood supply.

The microdiscectomy (2009) although necessary probably just sped up the degeneration.

The definitive solution is total removal and fusion or replacement of the disc.

Have you done yoga?? That helped me alot. Deep tissue massage should be avoided, it stirred up alot of pain for me.
Im quite strict with my stretching and i do it every night no matter what, infront of the TV or whatever before bed. This has helped me no end.
Discectomy's really only last 5 or so years, Ive been told I'll need a fusion in that amount of time as well. But for now Im doing everything I can to look after it, without losing any of my lifestyle choices (tough mudder, road runs, ocean swims etc etc)

stop the DL's now mate. You can work back without it. I havent done DL's in a long time and my back is strong. Chins, wide, close, reverse, plus in a weights vest and also do your supermans for the lower back.

Last edited:
Got it. Can the deadlifts.

I wish someone told me a discectomy only last 5 or so years. I would have opted for the fusion to save myself from the crap I'm going through right now.

I don't understand how running (high impact?) doesn't stir up your sciatica mate

Just out of interest Taurus, would you think twice about having the fusion if you were in pain (say a 4 or 5)? Or would you wait a considerable amount of time before going down that road? I have no neurological deficit or loss of motor control. No numbness etc.. but I do have pain into glute med and am not quite sure how 'bad' it needs to get before getting it sorted. Realise you can't give medical advice but still Appreciate your input mate.

Got it. Can the deadlifts.

I wish someone told me a discectomy only last 5 or so years. I would have opted for the fusion to save myself from the crap I'm going through right now.

I don't understand how running (high impact?) doesn't stir up your sciatica mate

My surgeon was straight up with that.
Are you doing your sciatic stretches? Also your hip flexor stretches???

Just out of interest Taurus, would you think twice about having the fusion if you were in pain (say a 4 or 5)? Or would you wait a considerable amount of time before going down that road? I have no neurological deficit or loss of motor control. No numbness etc.. but I do have pain into glute med and am not quite sure how 'bad' it needs to get before getting it sorted. Realise you can't give medical advice but still Appreciate your input mate.

I had a 2nd discectomy after 3 months. 1st one blew out and had me in all sorts. 2nd op
Is now over a year ago.
I know ill need a fusion at some point but don't want to think about it lol.
I'd try everything I could before another op if I were you. How often are you stretching???
I reckon my stretching routine has saved me so far

Your hip flexor is joined all the way around at your lower back. If you stretch that, it will eventually loosen up at the back there, which in turn takes pressure of it and lessens the pain. That stretch is crucial mate

I don't stretch very much at all mate.

My pain is HIGHLY inconsistent. I'll be fine one minute. The next I could be bending over to pick something up or standing a certain way and get a sharp pain in my upper glute.

I keep thinking it might be disc related but it may not be. I have no idea any more.

Thanks for your input mate. I appreciate it. No one else on this forum seems to give a toss lol

I'll start daily stretching and see if that makes a difference

As you may know from my thread, my wife is a spinal cord injury rehab therapist which has also been handy.
Especially when seeing the surgeon, she asked all the right stuff and helped explain it all.
I can send you all my rehab stuff ie stretches and exercises if you want

Stretching for just 5 mins a day helps so much. Also look up your local yoga class. Not only good for your back, but a great perv.
Maybe ring first and explain your situation, I did that and got a one on one to see what I could and couldn't do. Well worth it man

I'd appreciate that mate as I'm not quite sure what stretches I should be doing.

I probably deserve this. After my discectomy it only took me 4-5 months to go back to deadlifting (sumo - 180 x 15) and front squatting. Now it's probably too late to rehab but we'll see.

Anterior fusions don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy

I'd appreciate that mate as I'm not quite sure what stretches I should be doing.

I probably deserve this. After my discectomy it only took me 4-5 months to go back to deadlifting (sumo - 180 x 15) and front squatting. Now it's probably too late to rehab but we'll see.

Anterior fusions don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy

No prob. I gave up squats and deads for good after my op. Probably an idea for you to as well mate.
Those movements just put too much stress on the lower back