• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Long post about Sciatica and 'back' issues

I find stretching incredibly boring but I realise how important it is, so I do Yoga up to 3x per week. I find all the hip opening exercise offer the most noticeable benefit but the 'pigeon pose'' is my favourite for really opening up the pelvis and relieving any strain on the lower back. As previously mentioned, hip flexor stretches are equally important. Search for Yoga stretches on you-tube, try them all and find the ones that bring you the most relief. But frequency is the key to long term relief.

If your job involves long periods of sitting, this often causes the most damage long term as it causes the hip flexor muscles to shorten which places added stress on the lower back which only serves to aggravate many lower back injuries.

Yep!!

I am in the same situation mate. Some days I can barely walk the pain is so acute. But I can't squat or deadlift now and it kills me.

What I have been doing is managing the pain as best I can. Some days I'm good, others I can barely walk. It pays to have a good supply of panadol osteo and nurofen. Some days I need something stronger so I use an OTC painkiller with codeine and I try to have some Brufen handy (requires prescription).

I use testosterone. I maintain a relatively low dose which has improved my symptoms. Love the stuff.

I see a GP and have them refer me the local radiology place for a cortisone epidural. That helps a lot but I am trying not to have too many... cortisone isn't the ideal solution.

This may not work for you but recently a friend also gave me some patches from an asian grocer. They smell like menthol and have some kind of anti-inflammatory in them. I had a pretty bad flare up on the weekend which I needed to quell before work this week so I put two of them on and they definitely helped. I was skeptical prior to trying them but I've been converted. If you want more info PM me and I'll have a look for the name. They're only $2 a pack though.

The prevailing wisdom used to be that once your discs are shot you are done. But I think there are a couple of treatments which are (hopefully) not too far off.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23124260

http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/spinal/backpain/nuqu.php

I hope this helps in some way. If you have any luck or find a miracle treatment be sure to let me know :)

My issue have resolved to about 90-95%.

I'm lifting again but steer clear of deads and squats.

It might sound ridiculous but I honestly believe most of my pain was emotional. I was in a baaaad r'ship and terrible unhappy. I had nothing else to focus on.

Shortly after I left the r'ship, I met an awesome girl who makes me incredibly happy. Most of my pain is a memory. I don't even take panadol anymore.

I wish you well to get rid of the scourge of sciatic pain.