• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Warming up

hugoti

Guys
I do the same full body routine 3 times a week (beginners all pro routine) so obviously I start with the squats as the first excerise. Now I usually warm up on the bike for about 3-4 minutes. Just wondering is this a waste of time considering I also do 2 warm up sets of squats (at 50 & 75%) before starting the squat. Is the pre warmup squats sufficient or should I stick with the bike warmup as well?

I also do the same 3-4 minutes bike post workout for cooling down - yay or meh?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I start with either squats, leg press, trap bar or dead's I use the first few to warm-up, but I prefer to use the term "grease the groove", I think "the warmup" is an utter waste of time.

I do some static stretching about half an hour before gym, I never used to do any warmups, but now I do 3 warmup sets, certainly helps with squatting.

I don't bother warming up the body, just a couple of light sets for the first exercise on that group of muscles

40% 60% 80% for me. Basically to get a stretch in the right places for the movement and to get my motion down

Your warm up seems good.

Personally I always warm up with 5 minutes of stretching and body weight situps/ab work. It just seems to stretch the muscles out, especially in winter when the muscles can be pulled easily. Then whatever muscle group I'm working, I'll do a set at about 50%.

If muscles pull easily why would you stretch a cold muscle?

This is it, a muscle isn't cold, never cold.

Stetching, or the act of stretching if anything, relaxes you...the muscle, why would you want to do this?

Always do a few light ones untill the squeaking in my joints stops, once they're quiet, it's on.

I have a dynamic 3 minute warm up routine then bodyweight work initially before bar work then add the weight

I warm up, not necessarily cardio but a few sets working up to the heavier sets. If I didn't warm up on squats or bench with lighter weight for more reps, that would be the end of my joints.

I should add: I only warm up for my first compound. I've found it helps with heavier weights.

Agree with not static stretching right before training though, I work a desk job so I like to do that sort of mobility stuff after sitting in a chair for 8 hours.