• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whey Protein. Is it all its cracked up to be?

I feel that all supplements are way over rated, I have taken whey, and stopped taking, noticed no difference at all. I don't eat a lot of protein either. I am 105kg and would be lucky to get 100 grams of protein a day, and I'm still making gains and building plenty of muscle. I think that people who train consume way more protein than they probably need to make gains. I knew a guy once in prison who just ate the 3 regular meals provided to him and was built way better than most guys i see in gyms. He works his ass off. Yet with just the prison food available to him (he doesn't get a choice of what he eats) he still manages to pack on more muscle than most guys I see in gyms (and no he's not into steroids etc). In my opinion if most gym goers who take whey protein stopped taking it, they would look exactly the same.

it's a cheap way to get protein, I personally like the taste of whey isolate protein powder, and given that I replace snacks with shakes, it's reasonably economical at ~$1 a scoop.

[MENTION=7521]C_T[/MENTION]; you mentioned previously that Whey won't get you big. Do you think Whey is crap?

I feel that all supplements are way over rated, I have taken whey, and stopped taking, noticed no difference at all. I don't eat a lot of protein either. I am 105kg and would be lucky to get 100 grams of protein a day, and I'm still making gains and building plenty of muscle. I think that people who train consume way more protein than they probably need to make gains. I knew a guy once in prison who just ate the 3 regular meals provided to him and was built way better than most guys i see in gyms. He works his ass off. Yet with just the prison food available to him (he doesn't get a choice of what he eats) he still manages to pack on more muscle than most guys I see in gyms (and no he's not into steroids etc). In my opinion if most gym goers who take whey protein stopped taking it, they would look exactly the same.

What else does he have to do besides the 3 things Silverback suggested.. train.. eat.. sleep ... repeat

I agree to an extent, I'm currently dieting and previously had my protein intake at well over 300g, now I'm going no more than 240g a day sometimes less. I did have to go over 200g per day to start building any real muscle however.

Each individual should experiment with protein intake and see where they wind up, but I agree many people tend to over do it, carbs and fats are much tastier!

One day, we (myself included) will look back and realised that we've all been duped. And the ones that have reaped all the benefits are the supplement companies.

One day, we (myself included) will look back and realised that we've all been duped. And the ones that have reaped all the benefits are the supplement companies.

It's an industry, it's what you go into business for, to make money.

The only use protien powder assists are the old and the sick.