• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tell us About Your First Meet

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
share some experiences on your first meets or even just offer tips/advice on what to expect or how to prepare for it better.

I would like to share the experience of my one powerlifting comp, although I had competed many times in weightlifting in my younger years.

Pick your weight wisely. Easy first lift, near limit second lift, and third lift - what you aimed for or feel good to do, based on previous two lifts.

First unofficial meet was under [MENTION=4221]Sticky[/MENTION];'s house. The concrete slab was all on an angle which made it fun. I bailed before they had their crossfit comp afterwards. Much puking occurred I believe.

My first sanctioned comp was a PA comp held in a Fitness First gym. I was shitting bricks up until my first lift then buzzing with adrenaline for the rest of the meet. Came second overall on Wilks in raw and 3rd if you included equipped guys. Learnt a lot about setting attempts there. All of my weight jumps were too big.

Got thrown into NSW GPC States with 6 weeks training up my sleeve. Had only squatted 3 times previously in wraps.

JChen gave live commentary of my first meet on AusBB
I farted on my first attempt and Sticky said it was called doing whatever it takes to make the lift over the mic
I forgot to do my belt up on my third attempt bench (like it fucking mattered) and hit my head on the bar then missed it
Then tore my hip flexor with 190kg
For some reason, I cut weight despite not being more than 67.5kg and not cutting to less than 60kg

Yeah I have videos

Dec 2012, novice comp at PTC headquarters.

Had a bad shoulder injury.

Was 78kg at the time and no weight cut. I had only just squatted 140kg for the first time a week earlier.
Went 135/145 all good and then made 150 but didn't wait for the rack call
Bench was meant to be token but I was an idiot and went a bit hard. Grinded out 95kg. (funnily enough, I have never benched more than this in a sanctioned comp either)
Deadlifts 160/170 all good and then decided on a bit jump to 190. Missed it at the knees.

Met some great people that day. Coincidentally, it was Emad Nayef's first comp too. I was thinking "how the fark can this guy be a novice?"! I think he ended up deadlifting 260 ish at 75kg that day.

My first meet...I discovered that powerlifting meets really aren't that big a deal to me. I spent way too long warming up for squats in overzealous anticipation. I tried to be psyched up for every lift. This meant that by the time I was deadlifting I was over it. Still won gold in my weight class....and there were actually other people in my weight class there. I was more confused about taking home a gold medal than I was excited by it. I distinctly remember having a Dan John moment, of standing there receiving my medal, putting on a smile and expression of joy, but really thinking: "Yep, this isn't that great."