• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How did you learn to do proper deadlifts and squats?

Every few months I enter a fugue state and seemingly forget how to squat, deadlift or bench properly, resulting in a broken body part. Cue many hours of youtube and online articles later to relearn my technique, regain my sanity and return to the gym again.

One of the trainers at rugby taught us. His name was Paul Haslam, massive man, i think i had a man-crush on him from day 1 lol.

Heh. I was at that little deadlift seminar back then. Pulled 180kg for the first time along side [MENTION=8583]nazzysmith[/MENTION]; also. Time flies.Tim.
Ha!! [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=8564]Semillon[/MENTION]; was at a couple of those seminars too...

Being a rather lanky bloke too, I tried to replicate sticky's setup for deadlifts. Not a bad example to copy.
As for squats, I am still learning but I video nearly every session and compare to YouTube vids...

I watched a couple of youtube videos and some others at the gym initially, since then I have got a couple of PT's check my form to make sure it is still good, so far no issues, but I am thinking about getting it checked again maybe at a PTC or somewhere where I don't train as I currently don't think there is anyone qualified to give proper advise.

When my squats and deadlifts meet my own standards for squats and deadlifts, I'll let you know how I learned to squat and deadlift.

Sort of related here, question...
How often should you wrap for squats? if your goal is powerlifting obviously.

Trial and error/youtube videos/forums/rugby development squads...

My squat form is still not perfect - nor do I think it ever will be.