• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jerzy Gregorek Showing You How To Do A Perfect Olympic Squat

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Here is a 4 - time world champion Olympic lifter giving you a lesson on how to do a proper Olympic Squat!

What a useless video.

To save others the trouble, here are my cliff notes:
- keep your chest up, no need to think about anything else
- it's useful to be flexible and will help prevent injury

Basically it's someone to whom squatting is absolutely second nature being unable to explain how to squat to others. Another example of why it's often the least talented people who make the best coaches.

yes, I agree.

He needed to do much more to explain how to get that flexible.

He may do on his site.

What he did say was that his neutral back position should be held no matter how flexile you are.
I think he also suggests squatting at certain heights and then progressing as one becomes more flexible

Last edited:
This is similar to the Russian manner of teaching the powerlifts to beginners - starting with partial movements (box squats, deadlifts off blocks, presses to foam blocks) and gradually increasing the ROM as strength, skill and flexibility improve.

FWIW, I don't actually think his back was neutral at all - it was actually hyper-extended, which is probably fine as a position in the olympic lifts, but not ideal for squatting efficiently and just as dangerous as rounding. This is a direct result of exaggerating the chest up cue.

For the flexibility sometimes I think we over complicate what is required to be flexible. There is a good video by glen pens lay that covers improving flexibility for the squat and it involves 1 stretch, basically an ATG squat and use your elbows to push out your knees. If you can't get into the squat position you either get assistance to hold your balance or throw a 50kg barbell on your knees to help your balance out.

Sometimes simple might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, then theres the issue of shoulder flexibility so you can drive your elbows down without your wrists bending in and out with the weight of the bar crushing on it..