• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reasonable time frame to gain 10kgs?

coolhand78

Hey guys,

Basic question here but what would be considered a reasonable time frame to gain 10kgs of muscle?

Im 35, 80kgs 188cm, so tall and thin though not particularly fit, training/exercise has been little over the last few years due to bulging/herniated disc in my spine (lower), still have the injury but take Celebrex and forte at the moment and am sick of being complacent... So I've rejoined snap fitness at robina and am keen to try to turn things around...

Not remotely interested in gear or similar, diet, protein shakes, creatine and the like are fine...

So what do u reckon? The reason I ask is I'm trying to set some goals and would like some input into expected timeframes....

Cheers

All things being equal and you're eating, sleeping and working hard you'd be doing exceptionally well if you could gain 10kg of muscle within at least 2 years

Natural guy your age - if everything is spot on Id go 2-3 years - depending on genetics/how the old test is going etc - maybe longer - as I said if everything is spot on then 2 years as the shortest time - if not then 3,4,5 years....

10kgs is alot of muscle lol

again agree.

The only time I put on 10kg was my first year of serious training at round 19-20 years of age when weight went from 70kg to 80kg and I virtually doubled my strength.

I put this down to being at that age where higher test levels as an adult kicked in in, albeit I did a lot of training that year, running, sprinting, weights, about 3 hours a day after work.

I was working at KFC at time and eating about 15 pieces of chicken a day for a start.

At the moment, I am 90-91kg (probably 14-15% bf).

I reckon it will take me two years to get to 90kg weight at under 10%, but that is my goal (or hope).

Thanks for the responses... Maybe my perception of 10kgs of muscle might be slightly our if whack...

If I'm eating well and training hard, I've always been a bad sleeper but I'm hoping a bit of hard training might help, what would be a reasonable 6month goal? (I wasn't expecting 10kgs in 6 months... That's long term).

You're asking how long is a piece of string
Just get in there and workout as hard as you can, after 6 months take stock of where you're at

Thanks for the responses... Maybe my perception of 10kgs of muscle might be slightly our if whack...

If I'm eating well and training hard, I've always been a bad sleeper but I'm hoping a bit of hard training might help, what would be a reasonable 6month goal? (I wasn't expecting 10kgs in 6 months... That's long term).

In regards to simply gaining muscle? Do you care about bodyfat % etc etc? will you be going all out with your eating? or eating at a maintance level - its so hard to say maybe - if your going all out with bulking you may put on 15kg but only 2kgs of that may be muscle - if your maintaining you may only put on 500g of muscle - as Darkoz said - how long is a piece of string?

In regards to simply gaining muscle? Do you care about bodyfat % etc etc? will you be going all out with your eating? or eating at a maintance level - its so hard to say maybe - if your going all out with bulking you may put on 15kg but only 2kgs of that may be muscle - if your maintaining you may only put on 500g of muscle - as Darkoz said - how long is a piece of string?

Understood. Body fat % is definitely a factor, I've never been one to have a high body fat % but I certainly wouldn't want to increase that on what I'm already at, reducing is definitely important to me..

Ill also increase my eating.