• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are there any popular workouts that you find overused and not very effective? (

Over the years spart I've done pretty much every type of split, full body etc. as I'm sure you have too
but the legs/push/pull split has always served me best, I like the muscle grouping and I like the frequency which allows me to work each muscle group every 4 days or so, it's the sweet spot for me.

yes, I like it a lot. I do shoulder presses with press day, mainly a chest day.

I do upright rows with pull day, mainly a back day.

4 days is about the right recovery for me with my style of training.

What do you consider' isolation' work Joel?

I guess it would differ for everyone but things such as -

Lateral raises
band pull aparts
arm work
leg extensions/ham curls
Pull throughs
machine rows
chest flys

Just to name afew

I guess it would differ for everyone but things such as -

Lateral raises
band pull aparts
arm work
leg extensions/ham curls
Pull throughs
machine rows
chest flys

Just to name afew
The reason I ask is that many here seem to consider arm work for instance as isolation exercise
A heavy set of barbell or dumbell curls is far from being an isolation exercise for want of a better word as there is no such thing as isolating a muscle.

The reason I ask is that many here seem to consider arm work for instance as isolation exercise
A heavy set of barbell or dumbell curls is far from being an isolation exercise for want of a better word as there is no such thing as isolating a muscle.

My theory is do as much as possible to get as strong, big, powerful etc etc as possible - never fall into one bucket even if your only focus on one goal - if you do that your fucked....why shouldnt a powerlifter do direct arm work and why shouldnt a bodybuilder work up to a 1rm sometimes....people should never be narrow minded with how they train - its only limiting themself....

What's your opinion on Beginners AllPro's workout? This is what I'm doing - full body compound movement workouts 3 times a week and no isolations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a neat program. I don't think there's anything bad about it, but there are 2 things I feel could be improved upon.

Firstly, I'd like AP better if it had pull ups/downs instead of curls, but I understand why he put curls in that place -- easier to fit with the progression scheme, more direct arm work, they're a clear barbell exercise which is consistent with the theme of the program, and everyone reading the program was going to add curls in anyway if they weren't already there. Other than that, I like the exercise selection.

Secondly, I think the heavy/medium/light stratification is unnecessary, especially since you're only doing 2 work sets per exercise per day. Here are two suggestions on how you could realistically progress faster on with the same exercises and the dual-linear progression:

1) Most beginners could just as easily do 2x10-15 with the same weight each day, starting at 2x10 and adding a rep every session for two weeks, then add a small amount of weight and return to 2x10 (I'm offering 2x10-15 as a suggestion here purely because 8-13 or 7-12, which is how it would look using the traditional rep range, looks and feels off...because we can only count using the following numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20).
2) You could do 8-12 over 5 sessions, on the Friday/3rd session of week 2, just do 1 set for AMRAP, or some other fun modification for the day.

DUDE the point is that its the same split just reads differently - i.e

Monda - Legs

SQUATS
Leg press
stiff deads

Etc etc

Tuesday - Chest

BENCH
incline dbs
flys

etc etc

Wed - back

DEADLIFTS
bent over row
lat pulldown

etc etc

Thursday - shoulders

MIL PRESS
db laterals
rear delt raise

etc etc

Friday - arms

Barbell curl
Close grip bench

We are not talking about PL V BB - 0ni is simply pointing out the narrow mindness of people when it comes to 5 day splits - its not all about isolation movements and fucking around with the cable machine or machines...

I think your missing the point

Its not even close to the same split mate. Lol. I get what Oni was trying to point out but it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Its not even close to the same split mate. Lol. I get what Oni was trying to point out but it doesn't work.

What are the 2 splits that 0ni is referring to then? What was the point that 0ni was trying to make?

And it doesn't work for everyone? Or just you?

What are the 2 splits that 0ni is referring to then? What was the point that 0ni was trying to make?

And it doesn't work for everyone? Or just you?

Bloody hell. I gave the bench example how PL bench and assistance day is nothing like chest day so Onis point falls down.

I think body part splits are an inferior way to train for most people.

Bloody hell. I gave the bench example how PL bench and assistance day is nothing like chest day so Onis point falls down.

I think body part splits are an inferior way to train for most people.

We are talking about bodybuilding splits and the narrow mindedness of some people - not powerlifting mate...0ni's post wasn't directed at powerlifting....

Of course from a powerlifting point of view a 5 day split/one body part a day isn't the best but this is not the point in question....

0ni was pointing out how people don't get the 5 day split and think its just about isolation shit....

We are talking about bodybuilding splits and the narrow mindedness of some people - not powerlifting mate...0ni's post wasn't directed at powerlifting....

Of course from a powerlifting point of view a 5 day split/one body part a day isn't the best but this is not the point in question....

0ni was pointing out how people don't get the 5 day split and think its just about isolation shit....

You don't get it at all do you. Geez.

This has been beaten to death.
The key is put in as much intensity, volume and frequency into your training as your life will allow.
The more time your life allows you to devote to do this the faster the results, no way around it, how you skin that cat or what you call that program makes a minimum difference.
There is no trick or secret that can get around these 3 elements.

This has been beaten to death.
The key is put in as much intensity, volume and frequency into your training as your life will allow.
The more time your life allows you to devote to do this the faster the results, no way around it, how you skin that cat or what you call that program makes a minimum difference.
There is no trick or secret that can get around these 3 elements.

Noice.

its all about the journey, not the Finish line.

lifting weights is not a 2 year exercise.

i reckon, the busier one is, with other pursuits outside the gym, the better the results will be.
Stupidity is using long work hours and raising babies as a reason for their workouts not working and is -basically a, piss weak excuse.