• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
To add (and it's pretty simple) more often than not a lifter is not strong because of the lifting program but moreso in spite of it.

Because of genetics; mind, tendon lenghts, size of muscle belly, leverages, motor skills, body shape, good looks and the ability to recover quick will ultimatly dictate how well they respond to exercise.

Doesnt matter whether one follows the spurious options from; Crossfit to Vince Gironda, progress biulds strength and size.
How quickly versus how safe is the key to this.

yes, your last point is spot on. that is why I would not recommend power or olympic style lifts to anyone outside those sports. There are a whole lot of safer ways to get similar results.

As I am over 50, and recovering from injury, I am quite content to work muscle groups without need for heavy lifts, say squats in regard to thighs at moment.

I lack flexibility, have little time, and know full well I will get same benefits from a combination: leg extensions, leg press, lunges and step ups.

In time, when my body is right, I will return to squats and get targeted weights.

yes, your last point is spot on. that is why I would not recommend power or olympic style lifts to anyone outside those sports. There are a whole lot of safer ways to get similar results.

As I am over 50, and recovering from injury, I am quite content to work muscle groups without need for heavy lifts, say squats in regard to thighs at moment.

I lack flexibility, have little time, and know full well I will get same benefits from a combination: leg extensions, leg press, lunges and step ups.

It's fascinating how at about 45 the penny drops and you discover that the quote "less is more" applies to everyone.

i've made the change from strength to bodybuilding, (basically moved from 3-5 reps to 6-8). Physique has improved a tonne, better proportion for areas that i'm targeting for hypertrophy, arms/delts/shoulders. However, I do maintain strength training for leg muscles since I don't want them to explode in size and keep the reps lower.

strength to bodybuilding/ bodybuilding to strength, it's all the same.

More cells and fluid in a muscle, the muscle is bigger, the bigger muscle enables strength to happen, it just blows me away that people just don't want to understand this simple concept, it is nothing magical, well, it is lifting the bar is simple, doesn't get easier though.

yes, I agree there is a strong link, but add many ways to skin a cat to get same results and pushing heavy weights is not essential.

I just argue that the intensity and overload on muscle by a Lewer is just as great and beneficial as any Levronne choosing to train heavier and lift huge weights. It is intensity that matters, and there are too many variables to assume that training according to % of max or even reps used is the definitive prescription for muscle development (or even strength training).

In other words, if Lewer wanted to, which he did not, he could also come in occasionally and lift heavy weights to test or impress. I used to see him squat 130kg for reps (although he mostly squatted 95kg) and knew full well he could lift much more if he adjusted his technique and mindset. Truth is he did not need to. He never worried about the need to motivate to lift heavy weights, and probably trained in a way which accorded to his ability to apply intensity and recover in a certain time.

Would have training heavier made a difference? I doubt it. His training was already exceptionally intense. I, and others, experienced the intensity by the occasional workout with him. People used to mock him, but most of them would have struggled wit his unique way of applying intensity.

Last edited:
Spartacus

What is the difference between bodybuilding training and strength training
List them all, I am off to train and will be back

For the record just to make a point as well, GH would do nothing for me but give a bit of bloat. I am young and also not on anywhere near enough gear to make use of it

Oni, sorry, but will agree to disagree with you. I think I have said enough to make my viewpoint clear.

This is the way I see it, so take from it what you will.

Power lifting is about moving as much weight as possible, obviously. Big muscles don't necessarily move the most weight, but your muscles working together and engaging all the muscle fibers does. Doing the same heavy lifts over and over trains your motor neurons to fire in the most optimal way by incorporating as much of the muscle as possible.

Bodybuilding is about fatiguing and overloading muscle groups. The weight isn't as important as working the muscle to failure so it has to rebuild and grow. This usually means lighter weight and higher reps so you can squeeze out the maximum output of the muscle you're working.

Then of course there is genetics. For example, you could spend your whole life training to be a world class tennis player. But there's a reason why all the top tennis players are long and lean; because this body type is best suited and the good players with different body types are at a disadvantage.
I guess the same could be said for bodybuilding. People who are naturally built and easily put on muscle stand out and make it to the top level. Many people try, but if you don't have the genetics, you're fighting an uphill battle.

A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle
All top powerlifters and strongmen are fucking jacked for a reason. Who gives a fuck if one emphasizes one over the other, they are the same thing. What kind of idiot strength athlete would not try to maximise their muscular base in order to be as strong as possible?

I love the way you use 'fuck' or similar in every sentence or speech. Makes you sound like a tough guy.

I love the way you couldn't explain the difference between training for powerlifting and training for bodybuilding other than "powerlifters use mechanically advantageous technique and go heavier"

A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle
All top powerlifters and strongmen are fucking jacked for a reason. Who gives a fuck if one emphasizes one over the other, they are the same thing. What kind of idiot strength athlete would not try to maximise their muscular base in order to be as strong as possible?

What does "jacked" mean?

and what do you mean by "muscular base"?

What does "jacked" mean?

and what do you mean by "muscular base"?

Jacked is young person speak for someone that is muscular and lean
The muscular base is just your muscles. They are the base that all strength comes from. The wider the base, the taller the pyramid. In layman terms, the more muscular you are the stronger you'll be and the larger potential you have for top end strength

I don't fucking even fucking know what you're all fucking arguing about but fucking quit it or I'll fucking close the fucking thread fucking.

strength to bodybuilding/ bodybuilding to strength, it's all the same.

More cells and fluid in a muscle, the muscle is bigger, the bigger muscle enables strength to happen, it just blows me away that people just don't want to understand this simple concept, it is nothing magical, well, it is lifting the bar is simple, doesn't get easier though.

I think this was the last moment this thread made sense.