• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spotting?

hugoti

Guys a newbie here who's been hitting the gym for about 6 months now. Progressing slowing by myself but now got to the stage where I'm starting to fail my reps as part of my routine now that I'm getting to the heavy weights.

Just a question I've been thinking about, I usually don't ask anyone to spot me as I don't want to annoy or interrupt their own routines. Do you guys have training partners that obviously help you with the spotting but what if you train by yourself? How do you get around the failures - I want to be able to push myself without getting into trouble. I guess the question is it better to have a partner or train by yourself? It's to fine a partner let alone to have someone that does the same routine as you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I squat and bench in my power rack. In saying that I have had brain farts and forgotten to move the spotter bars high enough to bench and had to basically do the roll of shame to a point where I can get the bar on the spotters then do a slide/shimmy and fall on the floor. Elegance at its best

Trained with no spotter for years. You'll get used to it. You'll know just how far you can go, and always use the safeties.

Problem is I feel I can push it further like when I do heavy set with 12 reps and then I struggle to get to 10 without a spotter I'll stop. If I try I could probably get to 12 but it's hard when you know no one is around to take over if it fails. I use the bench press without any safeties as an example

Then use safeties? Or the benches don't have them? I bench in my squat rack so there are safeties.

No safeties in the bench press in the commercial gym here. Guess it's time I start asking someone to spot then

If you think you can do it then you'll do it. As soon as you start thinking negative, you haven't got a hope in hell

Problem is I feel I can push it further like when I dIy set with 12 reps and then I struggle to get to 10 without a spotter I'll stop. If I try I could probably get to 12 but it's hard when you know no one is around to take over if it fails. I use the bench press without any safeties as an exampleSent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Imo 10 to 12 reppers are not heavy sets... 5 to 8 rep range is heavy sets...

Trained with no spotter for years. You'll get used to it. You'll know just how far you can go, and always use the safeties.
Same here... Never need a spotter now and can still smash the shitout of myself and totally overload the targeted area...... however I will say that for 1 rms I will have somone standing by just in case... Note this is not so that I can lift more... Its purely for safety...

Spotters are good, but getting the right person important.

Other day, after explaining for several minutes do not assist unless I say the word 'help', the guy then preceded to grab the bar on fifth rep at his own accord.

This reminds me, still waiting for mp3 of [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; saying "It's all you bro" to help me get that last rep.

hey, that is how personal trainers/gym instructors at my gym train clients.

And to think they are qualified to work in gyms, and some of us are not.