• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

StrongLifts or Starting Strength?

Maybe also add the PTC beginners program, I recently changed to this program after reading the thread on here and think that I have made good progress since the switch from stronglifts. It seems to be the right volume and has a good no bullsh!t approach to it

Don't like the business model of SL or 5x5 for beginner program, so SS or PTC which I used to good effect. I suppose SS would probably enable the true beginner to put the most weight on the bar the quickest

Between SS and SL, I'd pick SL for a novice lifter pretty much any day. It's less imbalanced, promotes more practice at lighter weights, and the tendency towards slower progression is good for learning and developing consistency. I don't think power cleans for a rank novice are a great idea. I'm not so worried about the lifter getting hurt from them, but they're a very technical movement, and at that stage your power will increase just from squats and deadlifts without even worrying about specific power exercises.

I don't highly rate either program. They're easy to deal with as go-to programs, but I think they're honestly pretty average as cookie-cutter programs, and I'm yet to find an occasion in which I'd find either program appropriate when dealing with individuals. If I knew I was going to be training someone who's never lifter before, and I was going to be dealing with them for at least 6 months, I'd probably structure the first 1-2 months around skills and drills, potentially not even touching a barbell in that time (with squats in particular, there's a lot I'd like someone to master before they worry about external loads), then spend 2-4 months focused on hypertrophy (generally in the 2-3x8-12 range) with the main lifts (which would mean something similar to the PTC program), then finally move into max strength and/or power in the final 1-2 months.

Everyone knows you need a strength base before you can train for hypertrophy Darkoz!

Man it's fuckng retarded anyway
the advice where when you stall you take a little off and build back up again
What’s supposed to happen in the couple of weeks while you build back to your old plateau? Is that when the gains fairy visits to defy the basic principle of progressive overload, thereby granting you a substantially improved response to the exact same stimulus?

Man it's fuckng retarded anyway
the advice where when you stall you take a little off and build back up again
What’s supposed to happen in the couple of weeks while you build back to your old plateau? Is that when the gains fairy visits to defy the basic principle of progressive overload, thereby granting you a substantially improved response to the exact same stimulus?

I thought it was more about recovery than anything; I've done this successfully before when I was hitting a wall with my overhead press. I can't explain how it worked, but deloading right down and building back up pushed through the wall I was hitting.

Also why do you write like this? It hardly encourages intelligent discussion or responses, unless you're just trolling.

I assumed this thread was posted in the BB section as the PL section is barely active these days.

I still can't get over how much hate SS gets given that it's a known working program. No it's not a best fit for everyone, and I agree that power cleans are unrealistic for a beginner. If you read the book it's also pretty focused at absolute beginners, and isn't meant to be a long term program. Same as people equate it with GOMAD automatically.

I suppose though, that any program involving compounds will work as long as enough effort is put in.

Last edited:
Whats the other option to combat stalling then. Keep chugging at the same weight for months on end? Attempt to add more weight and fail miserably anyway? Theres a reason why deloading is written into these programs because it works.

SS worked a treat for me, I am sure SL 5x5 would work as well... either or, just get ya form right and lift the f**king weight!

Lol... All the usual suspects....Both are good starter programs...So is the PTC beginner program...For a newbie I would start with PTC program... Then shift to SL or SS...From there you'll move on to something else...