• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

StrongLifts or Starting Strength?

It's a hard thing to define - generally a beginner would be someone who's been training continuously for less than a year say, most poeple would agree on that, but what about someone who's been training for 3 but using shitty programs with not enough effort, and is therefore still weak/small?

That is spot on: you can train for years, and still with no real idea.

Or you can stick to a workout and continue to make improvement for years. At a Lee haney seminar, he was adamant that he trained in a similar way throughout career, but only with poundages going up and up over time.

To be honest prob 90% of people who are going to gyms could be counted as "beginners" they either have bad form, bad programs, not putting the effort in, not eating correctly, under training, over training etc etc etc

There is really only a small % of people that go to the gym that you would consider - advanced etc

To be honest prob 90% of people who are going to gyms could be counted as "beginners" they either have bad form, bad programs, not putting the effort in, not eating correctly, under training, over training etc etc etc

There is really only a small % of people that go to the gym that you would consider - advanced etc

Strength Standards this site has fairly accurate indicators of strength vs ability IMO

Strength Standards this site has fairly accurate indicators of strength vs ability IMO

Strength as such isnt an indication of a beginner or advanced etc - of course its a good bench mark but def not the be all and end all - i.e I have a mate when we were 15/16 we had both trained for about a 1 or so just really messing around/abit of 5x5/abit of rugby stuff and he was benching 140kg haha and in some peoples books that would be the sign of a advanced lifter but really we werent at all - we were still "beginners"

Good link btw!

I think a beginners section would be amazing. I think beginner/intermediate/advance is best measured by one's ability to exert effort in the gym. Compare the reps of your bench press when you first started with now, you can feel it in your muscles a LOT more now, the tightness of the grip, the tension through your tris and pecs, the gravity slowing the bar, which intensifies as you get heavier/higher reps - wheras when you started it just feels like moving a bar up and down - that is what i mean.

A beginner is someone who does not know exercise or practiced the skill of performing exercise correctly
An intermediate is someone who has advanced from beginner, is performing exercise and progressing.
Advanced is someone who can go real hard, lift hard and who's intensity of work is maximum (on the day) and lifts perfectly and progression slows.

All this takes time, and the time it takes differs for everyone.