• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lets Talk Meats

lately it's been minced beef ('3 star') due to price and less time required to cook mainly. For a long time I was consuming several kg of chicken breast a week as well, but started to go off it.

Scotch fillet for steaks. Can't go past them. This time of year the slow cooker starts getting a workout though

I buy most of my stuff from Avon Valley beef. Real cheap and good quality.

chicken thighs, beef mince or beef stirfry or beef curtain, and salmon fillets mainly. I like to cycle between them for a bit of variety.

I've tried to get chicken breast in bulk from the butchers, 100kg, and they are usually not keen to give a discount.

I also like Aldi frozen chickens for a few bucks. Stock up on them and chow down on a roast chicken.

Just rescued a solid block of steaks from the freezer that is left over from the last side of beef. Buying a side at a time prices it the same or cheaper than woolies overall but the quality is a lot better. The butcher also cuts and preps it anyway you want divided to suit the number of people its for.

Chicken breast from farmers market at 7.99/kg if I go there. Half the price of WW.

Just rescued a solid block of steaks from the freezer that is left over from the last side of beef. Buying a side at a time prices it the same or cheaper than woolies overall but the quality is a lot better. The butcher also cuts and preps it anyway you want divided to suit the number of people its for.

Chicken breast from farmers market at 7.99/kg if I go there. Half the price of WW.

You should be able to get a side of beef for the same or cheaper than what mince is at woolies. If you are paying more than that shop around.

Last side I got was 3.99/kg.

I'll buy 2kg of topside beef (which I cut into steaks) and 2kg of chicken breast at a time. This will last me about 2 weeks. If I buy anymore than this, it's just too much to cut up and bag. I'll trim the fat off the beef and chicken before bagging which makes it so much easier when taking it out to cook.

I'll also buy smoked salmon once a week as something different. It's pretty expensive though, around $40/kg. And of course I have tins of tuna stocked up for lunches. If you buy the family packs in spring water they work out to cost $12 a kg vs $20 for the smaller tins.

Anyone else have a hard time paying for seafood? For some reason I'll happily pay $30-40/kg for decent steak but don't want to pay the same for fish. Don't know why!

Anyone else have a hard time paying for seafood? For some reason I'll happily pay $30-40/kg for decent steak but don't want to pay the same for fish. Don't know why!

Agree. I won't pay 30-40 for fish but I wouldn't pay that for steak either unless out at a nice restaurant. Don't buy much seafood at all because of the price. Tinned tuna is about it.

Sometimes you get lucky at the major supermarkets in the evening when they reduce all seafood by 50%. I doesn't happen often, but when it does I stock up on salmon filets.

Same.
i like my seafood, never order it eating out though.
only seem to eat fish when ordering chips these days, flathead's nice.

Thing is with ordering fish when dining out, is that it's relatively easy to get good quality fish and cook it to a good standard at home, vs steak which varies hugely in quality and cooking method.

I love fresh or frozen salmon, but so so expensive!

I'll usually get the chuck steak from Coles, $8/kg or so, cut the fat off it and dice it up for slow cooking dishes.

Occasionally the local butcher has chicken breast @ $8/kg, but I reckon it's more pumped up with water than the supermarket stuff

I'm one of those whose go to easy meal is a big patty of topside mince and vegies. Grab any Steak on special too. Used to be a huge fish eater but not so much nowadays, probably should up my fish intake again. Supermarket for me, haven't been into a Butcher's shop in years when buying for myself.