• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

45 degree sled leg press

Ginne

After doing my 4 sets of squats, I do 3x10 on the incline leg press, but do the legs individually, not both at same time.

I don't see anyone else at the gym doing this, I feel I can train both legs equally as hard as each other, without one leg taking more load than the other.

Interested to hear your thoughts about this.

I know of a lot of guys who do use the leg press this way as well... But, rarely see many actually doing it like this as you also mentioned.

I prefer to use both legs. Just because its always what I've done. Maybe a mental thing like pressing more weight etc..

Our gym recently got a hack which I'm looking forward to working that into my routines :)

Will sometimes do 1 leg at a time - just to change it up...honestly dont know if it makes any difference at all...

I wish we had a sled leg press. My gym only has one the pivot ones similar to this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397898711.542894.jpg

But with only enough room to stack 6 plates a side and even fully loaded it's as easy as piss to do the full ROM which even then doesn't go deep enough before "bottoming out" so your forced to get someone to stand on top of it to add extra weight.

Thankfully I believe a sled one is on order...

the leg press, in the past i built my quads doing leg extention for warmup, back squats, leg press (with same number of toe presses before racking).

alot more than 4 "sets" of each. just like adding weight is progressive, so is a good idea to add volume.

not uncommon, when in a good zone to hit 6 sets of squats and even more leg press after, but thats pyramid weight.
(example, going from squats to leg press first set feels terrible and is very light, add some plates, go again, repeat x7. then take some plates off repeat.)

those that load up all the plates and do 2 sets minimal rom and leave arn't activating all the fibres in their legs. fact. have to do all rep ranges, all weights and push hard mentally.

sounds easy right?

*my advice isn't str based, its about getting big legs.

Last edited:
I miss the leg press. Haven't used one in years, haven't had access to one since 2012. But it's a good piece of equipment to have at your disposal.

Back in the day, when I used to do leg presses, I remember doing 300kg with 2 legs, but struggling to do 50kg with one leg. I'm quite curious to see how I'd go at it now. I think I'd do better one-legged and worse two-legged than I used to.

A couple months on the leg press has given me a more quad growth than years squatting.

Can feel it in the quads a lot more rather than in the back and glutes like a squat.

I can't seem to find a comfortable position to do one leg and lift heavy enough for it to feel like it's doing anything. Do you guys keep the same stance as using two legs and then remove one or is your leg a bit more central to the body?

I prefer leg press over squats these days too, although still like front squats for some reason

no, I prefer single leg, much more comfortable.

Adjust your foot space with toes pointed outwards slightly to get comfortable and get fuller movement.

My weakness at this movement shows exactly why I use so much back in my squats. I have very weak quads for the amount of training I have done.

no, I prefer single leg, much more comfortable.

Adjust your foot space with toes pointed outwards slightly to get comfortable and get fuller movement.

My weakness at this movement shows exactly why I use so much back in my squats. I have very weak quads for the amount of training I have done.

You prob have more so a weak posterior chain/abs if your back is taking over during your squats - or your simply not squatting correctly.

maybe, when I could full squat 132.5 as a youngster, could deadlift 215kg just on Olympic lifting training.

That imbalance remained as I got stronger. At my peak, was doing a few reps on 260kg deadlift with little training, and still struggling to squat 140kg-160kg properly.

Physically, I look like have strong back, but legs relatively skinny.

You prob have more so a weak posterior chain/abs if your back is taking over during your squats - or your simply not squatting correctly.

Lol. Mate have a look at how people with long legs and short torso squat. They have much more forward lean which means when the weight gets heavy the back takes over. Nothing to do with not squatting properly.

Lol. Mate have a look at how people with long legs and short torso squat. They have much more forward lean which means when the weight gets heavy the back takes over. Nothing to do with not squatting properly.

Yes!

This is precisely why you see short little bastards short leg/long torso pick up a barbell and pretty much squat 200 straight away.

more often than not it's the long legged short torso folks that will have a stronger lower back, mainly because of the larger degree of angle of movement around the hip.