• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

45 degree sled leg press

Going to try out this one leg stuff. Would work very well when training with the Mrs.

I've got a back injury so the 45deg sled leg press is my number one tool for quads at the moment. Just wondering if anyone else has seen a few stars doing this? I understand the safety things are there for a reason but I'd prefer not to use them :p Maybe single leg with less weight will help this. Only saw stars when I went down to sets of 5.

Going to try out this one leg stuff. Would work very well when training with the Mrs.

I've got a back injury so the 45deg sled leg press is my number one tool for quads at the moment. Just wondering if anyone else has seen a few stars doing this? I understand the safety things are there for a reason but I'd prefer not to use them :p Maybe single leg with less weight will help this. Only saw stars when I went down to sets of 5.

I didn't see stars but my legs stopped working when I tried to walk away after.

Originally, the idea behind the uni-lateral stuff on the leg press means you can increase the rom whilst maintaining or minimizing spinal movement, I wouldn't be advising uni lateral stuff on a standard press.

in your case I'd be using both feet whilst keeping focus on movement of the back.

Originally, the idea behind the uni-lateral stuff on the leg press means you can increase the rom whilst maintaining or minimizing spinal movement, I wouldn't be advising uni lateral stuff on a standard press.

in your case I'd be using both feet whilst keeping focus on movement of the back.

so unilateral only for 45deg ones? bilateral for flat ones?

I'm using a 45deg one.

Single leg press is fast becoming a favorite lower body exercise.

As for carryover to sports I can see it being at least as good as squats if not better.

Finally tried it as my left hammy was a bit dodgy. On the 45deg one with left leg bent on floor. Bring push plate down low enough to just be above left knee. Worked well. I was just playing around but did 65kgx10. Would have to load up over 200kg do do a 10 rep set with both legs so much more efficient for me.

I also, sort of like the extra cardio factor of actually having to do double the reps.

A couple months on the leg press has given me a more quad growth than years squatting.

Can feel it in the quads a lot more rather than in the back and glutes like a squat.

This pretty much sums up my experience.

Also, I heard that single leg press was a weapon of choice for the Australian cycling team at one point.. it was in an article about leg press versus squat. I tend to use hack squat/leg press/leg extensions/lunges/deads as my main leg work. Other than my calves, they've growing well in the last year.

yes, Meares (OG cyclist and champion) is said to do a 235kg single leg press, although not sure of depth given her squats are not real deep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbVW_kRPJs

I did 7x112.5kg single leg press last week, so need to get this up a lot by end of year. My left leg is much weaker than right leg at moment (perhaps by 30%).

Meares (70kg bw) has also done 80kg power clean, and 130kg dead lift.

Last edited:
the heavier I low bar squat though, the more I feel it in the quads? Not that I want my legs to get any bigger than they already are.