• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench Press Question

Hombre

I've been training on a touch and go basis but now want to move to a 1 second pause. I tried this and my triceps died on me.

When I do touch and go I feel it more in the chest and when I feel my shoulders round and come into the press, I rack it. Generally working on 4 sets and trying to hit 8 reps with ~110kg. With the 1 second pause, I dropped it down to 80kg with same set/rep scheme and triceps died on me in the last set.

Hands in a medium width on both touch and go / pause.

Am I missing something here or is it just an adaption thing or grip or general weakness in triceps ? Interested in comments as my expectation was that it would fry the chest doing the pause.

Thanks.

You will burn more energy pausing for 1 secong than touch and go, you have to hold the load there, it costs energy. As you get towards 140kg you will find the the whole rep gets naturally slower, heavier the load the slower you are able to move it.

You might have to lower the weight and concentrate on squeezing your pecks more during the concentric phase to help take off the load from your triceps. Also keep your scap retracted.

It could be his technique so getting stronger without solving the underlying issue could cause serious injury.

From a bodybuilding point of view I would suggest touch and go anyway - keeps constant tension on the muscle (hence why you feel it in your chest more) - no need to pause...

Since when does pausing not keep tension on the muscle.

Well if you come to a complete stop there is no tension on the muscle as you as completly relaxed - then when you push off again your stronger muscle group will take over to complete the press - in OP's case this is his triceps.

Something I have used though is stopping afew inches before the chest, hold for afew seconds then slowly drive up again - this will keep the tension on - but due to the pause again the stronger muscle will take over to complete the lift - again from a bodybuilding point of view - no real reason to pause - I have found this to help from more a strength point of view not so much a gaining size point of view.

Last edited:
Well if you come to a complete stop there is no tension on the muscle as you as completly relaxed - then when you push off again your stronger muscle group will take over to complete the press - in OP's case this is his triceps.

Something I have used though is stopping afew inches before the chest, hold for afew seconds then slowly drive up again - this will keep the tension on - but due to the pause again the stronger muscle will take over to complete the lift - again from a bodybuilding point of view - no real reason to pause - I have found this to help from more a strength point of view not so much a gaining size point of view.

Pausing at the bottom of the bench your muscles are anything but relaxed.

I've been training on a touch and go basis but now want to move to a 1 second pause. I tried this and my triceps died on me.

When I do touch and go I feel it more in the chest and when I feel my shoulders round and come into the press, I rack it. Generally working on 4 sets and trying to hit 8 reps with ~110kg. With the 1 second pause, I dropped it down to 80kg with same set/rep scheme and triceps died on me in the last set.

Hands in a medium width on both touch and go / pause.

Am I missing something here or is it just an adaption thing or grip or general weakness in triceps ? Interested in comments as my expectation was that it would fry the chest doing the pause.

Thanks.

Using a "1 seconds pause" means you need to slow down the negative phase of the rep, in that it forces you to control the (cadence) rep, meaning more time under tension, the negative phase is more result producing the the positive.
Your triceps died because you found a weakness, the triceps are the prime movers in this exercise, keep going you'll get stronger.
good work.

Thanks for the replies.

I dropped the weight down to 60kg this morning and concentrated on the scapula retraction and squeezing the chest for whole rep, especially at the pause. I worked this up by 10kg increments to 100kg where my right shoulder, which has a slight twinge, came into the press movement after 5 reps. I left it at that, however safe to say the shoulder came into the equation because my chest was toast doing it this way, not the tricep (at least not as it was before).

I take on board that I likely have a corresponding tricep weakness anyway. Suggestion here ?? I am thinking close grip press on a separate day.

Two exercises i like for triceps are; dips (for the ROM) and french presses (using a cable) one or two sets to MMF.

Well if you come to a complete stop there is no tension on the muscle as you as completly relaxed

lolwut?

You don't lower to your chest and then release it.. lol
it's a pause on the chest where the bar is just touching your chest.

your chest/rib cage isn't taking the load.

Yeah, I also recommend dips for overall tricep strength. It's a compound movement so the chest will get worked a bit as well.

If your triceps are working too much during bench press, make sure your elbows are out wide with a wide grip on the bar. Having your elbows tucked in more will work the triceps as you'll basically be doing a close grip bench press.

It is quite simple, pick grip width the enables the bar to move the maximum distance.
finding an extra 2 inches makes a world of difference.

I must have the simplicity option turned off today. I'm not following you there.

The best way to find the optimum position with the bench press, is using an empty bar at the extended position, your wrist won't be bent, that is the force of the bar, on the wrist is minimal and the stroke of the movement maximal.

there also shouldn't be any movement at the wrist throughout the exercise.
doing this, you are able to move the bar much further using a heavy weight, safely for reps.
your tricep will be doing the bulk of the work, as they should, not the pecs, not the deltoids, the lats and all that shit.