• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help please!

8 reps is considered ideal for hypertrophy. I guess they do more with squats so you get slightly more volume in, provided that for the last couple of reps you're really pushing.

sorry to interrupt your conversation........I am curious - what is the reason for all exercises in the PTC beginners program having sets of 8 reps, with the exception of squats (10 reps per set)?

I have no idea, other than 10 is easy to remember

the key to any bodybiulding program is adding kg's to the bar, not adding sets as most do.

I believe the reason for 8 reps and 10 on the squat was Markos' belief that beginners did not have the ability to utilise lower rep ranges effectively (especially due to using light weights) rather than it being based on hypertrophy, as that is not his thing.

The original version had even more reps - sets of 10 and 2 x 20 for squats, I had to give up on that variant as I was stalling badly with it.

^ What's the difference? serious question @silverback

If I do 3 sets of 10 reps @100kgs I've moved 3000kgs for the session
if I do 4 sets of 10 reps @100kgs I've moved 4000kgs for the session
If I do 3 sets of 10 reps @ 133.5kgs I've moved 4000kgs (close enough) for the session
33.5kgs is a pretty big jump in weight compared to an extra set, and if you can do the 4 sets in less time compare to the 3 sets at the greater weight for the same volume, wouldn't it be better, or as beneficial?

All I'm saying here is that a tyro will add an extra set and reduce the intensity of "work" rather than increasing the intensity of work by adding weight to the bar.

thinking this is progression, which it isn't

But intensity can be defined as more work in less time, no? So if I do 8 sets of 10 reps at 50kgs faster than I do 4 sets of 10 reps at 100kgs, have I not increased intensity?

Define faster?
on my phone at the moment.
you do know the difference between a marathon and a sprint right?

Less rest.
You're still moving the same overall weight but if you only rest for 30-60 seconds with the lighter weight but need 3 minutes with the heavier weight, has intensity not gone up?

Which method is better for strength or size gains?

What if you can't always add to the bar? Will doing an extra set over time give you the ability to add weight sooner or are you better off sticking with the same sets/reps? Surely an extra one wouldn't do any harm

As I'm ageing I'm discovering that progression is extremely slow to non existent over the years I have now understood that intensity of work is subjective, in that everyone's tolerance to work and the way people respond to that stimulas differs from person to person. The goals posts keep moving as we age....

but the one commonality is that "less is more"

what that is! Is something you work out yourself.

if one stalls on 3 sets of ten, there could be many, many reasons for this, adding a set could well be an option to stimulate growth, as would be adding a rest day, sleeping and extra hour, eating more, adding an extra kg to the bar.....many many possibilities here.

but adding sets from 3 x 10 x 100 to say (for a goal) 6 x 10 x 100 over a protracted period, along with the rest of the workout, would be less efficient and the intensity of work suffer along with the bodies ability to stimulate muscle growth.

it would be impossible to maintain a workout, you'd be just wearing yourself down as opposed to building yourself up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you have answered my question. In the above example you have increase the volume to double. You've added weight and increase sets.

I agree with intensity being relative to the individual, but it still something that can be measured and is important in training. Intensity isn't a high heart rate or a spew, it's hp, the higher the hp, the greater the intensity.

Change that last meal to cottage cheese. 125g.
Need a bigger breakfast too. Try 6 weetbix, 2 toast, an apple and a coffee plus your yogurt.
Or go for 2 scrambled eggs and proats (30g protein powder, 1 cup oats, 1/3 cup of egg whites). Plus a black coffee and 2 big glasses of water as soon as you wake up.

I don't even really know what you're asking, but the high volume versus the low volume, or abbreviated training has been raging on for many years, and you or I will not resolve the issue on this forum.

but I will state it again for you, and try to put it in another way in the hope you understand what I'm trying to convey

a tyro who just goes half hearted through a program, ( not putting in much effort, work, sleep and diet) will not progress in adding kg's to the bar, adding sets will not improve his chances of become bigger or stronger.

fuck you're hard work high road.

Here is the question again.

the key to any bodybiulding program is adding kg's to the bar, not adding sets as most do.

^ What's the difference? serious question @silverback

If I do 3 sets of 10 reps @100kgs I've moved 3000kgs for the session
if I do 4 sets of 10 reps @100kgs I've moved 4000kgs for the session
If I do 3 sets of 10 reps @ 133.5kgs I've moved 4000kgs (close enough) for the session
33.5kgs is a pretty big jump in weight compared to an extra set, and if you can do the 4 sets in less time compare to the 3 sets at the greater weight for the same volume, wouldn't it be better, or as beneficial?

Fuck
if you can do 4 sets quicker than 3 sets, you are not working hard enough when doing 3 sets at the same weight.

so stick with 3 sets and add kg's to the bar and work harder in the 3 set area.

why complicate things, ffs.

as I stated , one set here or there is moot.

its adding kg's that is key.

This isn't crossfit or pl, it's basic 101 resistance exercise workout, get in the gym, workout, get out of the gym, live your life, sort of shit.

if you want to spend hours in the gym, good for you.

ill ask you this.

adding kg's to the bar isn't key?

you think it's total tonnage?

fuck me.

Last edited:
Settle the fuck down

3 sets was done with 33.5kgs more

I'm not complicating things. Don't get the shits if you can't answer the question, a simple fucking question.

Last edited:
Settle the fuck down

3 sets was done with 33.5kgs more

I'm not complicating things. Don't get the shits if you can't answer the question, a simple fucking question.

at at the end of the day the aim is to increase the weight on the bar, it is a good measure of progress.

This isn't crossfit or pl, it's basic 101 resistance exercise workout, get in the gym, workout, get out of the gym, live your life, sort of shit.

if you want to spend hours in the gym, good for you.

ill ask you this.

adding kg's to the bar isn't key?

you think it's total tonnage?

fuck me.

And where did I say you should spend more time in the gym? Adding sets doesn't always mean more time, I think you are really hung up on this.

Where did I say adding kgs to the bar isn't key? No, it's not about about tonnage, that's why my 3 sets = 4000kgs, and my 4 sets = 4000kgs, it's the same...