• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help please!

first time i have ever heard that, i would think you just workout the body oarts you want to imorove overall, plus the OP said he was interested in strength.

You can actually do damage to the shoulder if you work the front or back excessively. The shoulder is pretty much held in place by the chest and back muscles so if you work one more than the other you will end up with problems but I have never heard of doing double back exercises to front ones.

Thanks for all the replies. here are some more details:
height: 170cm
weight: 81.5 kg (start of October I weighted 79.5 kg) - weight gain has stalled for the last 3 months
body fat: 18% (increased by approx. 1% since October)

program with current weights, including bar (I try to increase weight by 1 - 2.5 kg every few weeks):

MONDAY
weightsets/reps
BB bench press5 sets, 6/7 reps 92kg
DB bench press4 sets, 12 reps 1[SUP]st[/SUP], then to fail each other set 32.5kg
Bicep/tricep
4 sets, 8 reps each
Alternate sets of ezy bar bicep (60kg), tricep pulldown (37kg)
WEDNESDAY
Squat / calf raise4 sets, 6/7 reps (squat) 128.5kg
3 sets, 15 reps (calf) 128.5kg
DB Squat4 sets, 12 reps 1[SUP]st[/SUP], then to fail each other set 34kg
DB shoulder press4 sets, 8 reps 22.5 (there are light due to shoulder injury)
Upright row4 sets, 8 reps 41kg
FRIDAY
BB bent over row5 sets, 6/7 reps 95kg
Lat pulldown4 sets, 12 reps 1[SUP]st[/SUP], then to fail each other set 68.5 kg
Deadlift4 sets, 6/7 reps 137.5kg
extra details about the diet.
rolls are hamburger rolls
about 100g chicken in the roll
200g tub yoghurt

perhaps I might try full body workout 3 times per week, super-setting exercises to save time (only have about 1 hour 15 mins. to complete session. 4 - 5 sets of 6 - 8 reps, but may need to reduce weight (currently I have up to 3 minute break between sets, otherwise I can't lift the same weight for the same reps.

If your body weight AND body fat have both increased it's diet related. I haven't really looked at the program, I got to the body fat has increased and started writing this. You need to sort your diet, others on here and jump in and give you advice for that.

Just looking at the program and considering your goal is strength, why don't you follow the PTC beginners program? It's proven.

edit, I stuffed the math up...

Last edited:
Drop to 1 minute rest to get more volume in. Yes, you'll have to drop the weight but you'll still be fatiguing the muscles and will benefit from more volume.
While lifting heavy does call for big rest times, you need to be lifting more often to sustain that style. If you can only train 3 times per week, you're spending half of that time resting. I wouldn't superset compounds, only things like bi's/tri's for example

What's the calories end up looking like?

But they're decent lifts for your bw, good stuff!

Yeah, why.

Because internet.

I've read it many times in other places..

most people start lifting and they start benching..
people always ask "what chu bench bro?"

So people bench and bench and bench..
in general the pecs get heaps more work than back.

so I assume at some stage someone like T-nation made an article about the importance of training back/lats for shoulder health and made the suggestion that you should do 2 pulls for every push.

Drop to 1 minute rest to get more volume in. Yes, you'll have to drop the weight but you'll still be fatiguing the muscles and will benefit from more volume.
While lifting heavy does call for big rest times, you need to be lifting more often to sustain that style. If you can only train 3 times per week, you're spending half of that time resting. I wouldn't superset compounds, only things like bi's/tri's for example

What's the calories end up looking like?

But they're decent lifts for your bw, good stuff!

Dropping to 1min rest will increase intensity, not volume, dropping the weight will also decrease volume

There are a lot more muscle in your back than the front.
more muscles in your back trying to maintain stability of the shoulder.

Yes but the current workload will be done in less than half an hour meaning he can add more lifts

Current workload done in less time = intensity.
Dropping the weight to do so = less volume.
Adding more lifts would have to be greater than the current volume at the current weight to equal more volume. Doing more lifts won't always equal more volume. You're asking him to do more work in less time so he can do more work. Personally I don't think volume and intensity should be prescribed together like that, one or the other so he can adapt. The extra intensity will hurt him enough to start with.

Lifting is the easy part...trying to makes sense of all these posts is hard work! But appreciated!
Any other suggested programs besides the PTC beginners program (does it matter that I am not a beginner?)? And before anyone mentions it, perhaps I am being a little lazy by asking for a program rather than writing my own!

Don't let the term "beginner" throw you off. Look at the program and look at yours, what does it offer over yours? What does yours offer over it?

From my research this is the PTC program:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Is this correct?
Is there a recommended rest time between sets?

Have a read through the PTC beginners program thread, plenty of info there.

The best program for you is the one you believe in and will follow

I found beginners program very monotonous but has its place for newbies. As High Road said, the one you will follow!!