• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've really not got anything out of flyes so I don't do them, haven't in many years.
much prefer dumbell press

I throw them in at the end of a hard bench session, but usually 5-7kg and rrrreeeaaaallllyyyyy stretch the pecs out for sets of 20 or so.

I am currently doing them at end of chest, press day, 4x8 on 15-17.5kg dumbells.

I will alternate them with dips from week to week when shoulder right for dips.

Last edited:
I throw them in at the end of a hard bench session, but usually 5-7kg and rrrreeeaaaallllyyyyy stretch the pecs out for sets of 20 or so.
So you realllllllly stretch the pecs out.. WHY?? Do you do this stretching for shoulders for instance or biceps? Why the pecs?

I do em. But only because I work in an office...at a computer...all fecking day. Shortens my damn pec minor on right side. I do a bit stretching on them before training, then flyes afterward plus another round of stretching. Got nothing out of them in terms of development or anything, though I have never tried to.

Tim.

I hurt myself doing them last week with 15kg which felt light. Impinged the hell out of something in the shoulder, and it bothered me all week.

I like broom dislocations but done with a band for stretching the pecs.

Chest flies? Yes, I throw them in between the barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press. They work the chest in a different way and lets my pushing strength recover. You need to be strict with them otherwise you can hurt yourself. Always keep a bend in the elbow and the movement should be that of hugging a tree. Also try not to let the dumbbells touch at the top that extra bit of time under tension.

I do them on and off although a couple of weeks ago I had the same thing as jj80. I tried to go heavy and ever since I have a sharp pain in my shoulder.

Chest flies? Yes, I throw them in between the barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press. They work the chest in a different way and lets my pushing strength recover. You need to be strict with them otherwise you can hurt yourself. Always keep a bend in the elbow and the movement should be that of hugging a tree. Also try not to let the dumbbells touch at the top that extra bit of time under tension.

spot on, too many people push too much and consequently have a bit of press in movement. It should be all pecs squeezing movement out.

I always do them after benching to fill the pecs with blood and to stretch them out
I don't want to tear my pecs and they are very weak compared to my other pressing muscles so I like to take precautions

10kg dumbbells for some fast sets of 10 is plenty

I do them, hold at the bottom for a 2 second count and squeeze at the top. Usually prefer cable crossovers though.
They're a bit like pullovers, plenty of people don't think they do as much as a bb or db press but there's still lots of bodybuilders that swear by them

Yeah I do them. Similar to what steveP and Spartacus said, always with a bent elbow, not letting dumbbells touch at the top in an effort to keep the muscle under tension.
Usually alternate between cable and dumbbell fly. Find both effective.

So you realllllllly stretch the pecs out.. WHY?? Do you do this stretching for shoulders for instance or biceps? Why the pecs?

My training isn't very scientific, it feels good and i havn't had a pec injury so i keep doing them.