• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
IT’S got a legion of celebrity fans including Nicole Richie and Ricky Martin and now this fitness training style is garnering a cult following across the country. High intensity interval training (HIIT) are the exercise buzzwords of the moment.
New scientific research argues this kind of maximum capacity exercise — where you work flat out for short bursts of time, as opposed to jogging for an hour — is better for your fitness and your health.
F45 (Functional 45) training works just like that. The 45-minute sessions are interval-based, with both cardio and weights training.
Inevitable comparisons have been made between F45 and Crossfit, which has attracted criticism for its intimidating environment and tendency to cause injuries.
But this isn’t about lifting 90kg weights or doing 100 burpees in a row.
F45 focuses on “holistic, functional fitness”, with all the exercises designed to help you move better throughout your daily life.

Ricky Martin performs during the 2013 NRL Grand Final. Source: News Limited

“We focus on strength, respiratory and flexibility,” says Jacqueline Karim, who manages an F45 training centre in the Sydney suburb of Crows Nest.
You work in groups of three people, working hard for 40 seconds then resting for 20 seconds.
You move around three training circuits which contain three different exercises. There is a maximum of 27 people in a class.
Each exercise targets a different part of the body so you get an all-over workout,” says Ms Karim. “It targets your body in the correct way, building muscle and melting fat.”

And unlike Crossfit, which is focused on bashing out a set number of reps, F45 is time-based. There’s no fixed number of reps per exercise.“The beauty of it is everyone goes at their own pace,” says Ms Karim.
If your technique isn’t up to scratch, a trainer will work with you until you get it right.
This was a huge drawcard for Dianne Davis, who converted to F45 a month ago after suffering ongoing knee injuries.
“[With Crossfit], you’ve got to hurry up and get those reps up in that [set] time frame,” the stay-at-home-mum says. “That’s where your injuries can happen because your technique isn’t being looked at.
“Those injuries are not going to get any better because you’re lifting an obscene amount of weight and [often] you’re not doing [the exercises] properly. I know half the time I was not doing it properly.”

F45 is a group training method that uses interval-based cardio and weights exercises. Source: Supplied

The balance of cardio and weights in F45 holds wide appeal — you up your fitness levels while getting lean and toned.
“I am definitely fitter,” says Ms Davis. “My cardio has definitely improved.”
Hey, if it’s good enough for Ricky, it’s good enough for us.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/is-functional-training-better-than-crossfit/story-fnlsv23r-1226868199081

I keep seeing references to this type of stuff at my gym, the marketing is getting as bad as that for Crossfit. Also the mentality of the (nearly all women) people who go.

Just looks like a les mills class, I don't think Crossfit are in any sort of danger, looks like a good cardio burnout but with out the Olympic lifting and the heavier loads that Crossfit has, this will only apeal to the soccer mums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have gotta stop looking at their way of training as the one way to train properly. Many ways to train for many different goals.

Les Mills variant is called True Grit - the main difference seems to be the use of flimsy "barbells" with large 5kg plastic plates.

I've noticed that the marketing and mentality is starting to get more obnoxious, and that these classes are becoming the real focus of the gym (I believe you have to pay on top of regular membership). Amusingly no one who does them ever seems to look any different.

Bazza, most women want to get skinnier and "more toned" this whole "she squats" crap is popular right now too. Most guys want to either be a Zyzz or Brad Pitt Fight Club twin.

Me, I want to look like a tree with a beard

I've been oblivious to this until the same article was shared on facebook this morning.

From what's being described, it sounds like a fairly safe and balanced system to do circuit training in that will do more good than sitting on your arse. For 90% of people, that's a significant win. In the context of "I want to be as strong and conditioned as possible," this probably won't work, although if you're untrained it might be a step in the right direction. In the context of "Are deadlifts bad for you? Creatine's a dangerous steroid, right? Do you think I should cut out all carbs? Especially after 6pm?" this sounds like it might be exactly what the average Joe/Jill needs.

Of course, that's my opinion after reading one whole article about it and otherwise not knowing it exists. I stand to be corrected and discover that it's bad for everyone.

well, if it cons more chicks into doing squats and deadlifts in front of me at the gym in their obligatory tight pink shorts then I am all for it!

Crossfit is very functional. Why just the other day I was lifting my couch and thought 'damn, if only I did 30 rep snatches for time with a light weight and horrendous form to improve my score on a regular basis, I would be so much more functional at this task.'

Crossfit is very functional. Why just the other day I was lifting my couch and thought 'damn, if only I did 30 rep snatches for time with a light weight and horrendous form to improve my score on a regular basis, I would be so much more functional at this task.'

Pretty much.

Functional depends on what you want to be functional at.

Here for the Crossfit bashing...

I was clean and jerking my couch the other day, and I thought if I could just log on to an interweb forum and post something dumb and unrelated I could possibly win the interweb...

well, if it cons more chicks into doing squats and deadlifts in front of me at the gym in their obligatory tight pink shorts then I am all for it!
Hot chicks doing SLDL's is always functional. It allows them to practice their mating call, often with a live audience.

you bag out crossfitters form, yet your form is worse, more of a reverse curl then a clean
60kg clean and press - YouTube

Yeah man, totally going to injure myself doing that. Power reverse curl singles at 60% of 1RM are so much worse than doing 30 shitty snatches in a row for time. Your argument is 100% founded on logic and reason and I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up tomorrow and lost close to 90% of all the functionality I have gained from lifting

The whole injury thing is over blown with crossfit anyway.

So what if there form isn't picture perfect anyway. People get injured with good form too.

I'll say it again crossfit wouldn't even have close to the injures of the major sports.

Think about it, you have people trying to complete exercise while fatigued, getting physical contact and you are not doing a set movement. Much worse than any crossfit exercise.

Yeah man, totally going to injure myself doing that. Power reverse curl singles at 60% of 1RM are so much worse than doing 30 shitty snatches in a row for time. Your argument is 100% founded on logic and reason and I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up tomorrow and lost close to 90% of all the functionality I have gained from lifting

Your judging Crossfit on the fact that everyone uses bad form when it's just the tyre kickers and new people 90% of the time, any off the better athlete uses good technique on high rep Olympic lifts, watch rich fronings vid of 30 snatch at 100kg(more than you can get overhead) and every rep is perfect form, if I said power lifters had shit form with the only evidence being a few bro's online said so, than you would prob correct me on my false claim, unless you got something to back up these claims, this shit is getting old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk