• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Obscure or uncommon exercises

• What obscure or uncommon movements have you found that have helped you reach your goals?
  • How did you incorporate them into your training as a main or assistance movement?

Feel free to ask other training and programming related questions as well, as the topic is just a guide.

I used to do sissy squats. Really gave the quads a good burn. Might have to reintroduce them.

Last edited:
Woodchops. Not that obscure in themselves, but I've never seen anyone doing them the way I do them. The way I do them, they're right up there in my favourite core exercises, but I haven't had regular access to a cable tower to do them in about 18 months.

Sit ups. Again, not obscure in themselves, but I don't see people using the technique I use on them. The way I'm used to seeing people do them (if they ever do, which has been rare for the last decade or so due to the widespread belief that using your hip flexors means not using your abs) allows you to do a lot of them without heavily using your core. The way I do them makes it hard for me to do 10 and gives an intense ab contraction, while amplifying how much hip flexor is used (so, instead of trying to make them more ab-dominant by removing the hip flexor work, I increase both elements in a way that I've found quite effective).

Lower trap static flys. I've only known a handful of people who've done these, and each of us has gotten strange looks in the process. I do them with epic 1.25kg weights, and it's hard. But they do a really good job at establishing a mind-muscle connection with the lower traps, which in turn makes all back work better, endorses good posture and helps with thoracco-scapular tightness for squats and bench press.

Don't do anything that obscure maybe touch and go deadlifts work for me but most people would have you believe that these are worse than aids.

Touch and go is not bad at all. Bouncing the fuck out of it on the other hand...

Also dont really do anything really obscure.
Paused squats and front squats are a bit of an obscure movement to the average gym goer I guess...thats about as obscure as I get.

Tim.

Obscure hmmm..
maybe narrow grip incline, pumped up whole upper body.

Last edited:
- Pullovers
- Dumbell bench press but start with the dumbells touching with a neutral grip at the top and then press with dumbells in that position throughout the whole movement, also a good way to press if you're having shoulder issues.

- Dumbell bench press but start with the dumbells touching with a neutral grip at the top and then press with dumbells in that position throughout the whole movement, also a good way to press if you're having shoulder issues.

Commonly known as squeeze press.

Yes they are good.

Is it obscure if 80% of your training volume is coming from one one movement? Haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I might give it a go. Dicky shoulder. Just bought some dbs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

paused squats, paused deadlifts done double overhand for dat dere grip strength, barbell curls with an olympic barbell, chest supported row. Obscure lifts for a commercial gym at least.

A good exercise nonetheless
But I'm thinking what is full ROM for any given movement, I dare say that if we were to stretch a muscle to the point of not being able to stretch it any further then something is going to break.