• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Struggling to get under 20% body fat

hugoti

Guys,
I've been training for about 3-4 months now and am struggling to get under 20% bf? Weight 72.7kg initially started at about 67kg. 177cm male. I started bulking but realised I was around 23-24% so started cutting. Got to about 20.5% but never got pass it. I worked out my maintenance caloric intake to be around 2000 calories. Play competitive squash one night a week, no other aerobic exercise. Diet has been pretty standard 5-6 meals per day meeting 2000 calories. Doing All Pro's begins routine. Has anyone been in this situation? Should I decrease my caloric intake by 200 or increase aerobic exercise? Suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. I'm aiming to get to around 15% before bulking.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's as simple as cals in < cals out. If you want to drop weight, you can't keep consuming maintenance cals. It needs to be in deficit, if you want to keep eating the same then you need burn more (either thru cardio or upping the intensity when you lift) otherwise drop 500cals and see what happens.

Must have been mowing the food down to gain 6kg in 3-4 months with most of it fat? What was your starting bf?

I don't really get the bulk/cut cycles anymore. It's too hard and depressing IMO. Eat lots but eat clean

It can only be your diet. Can you give a summary of each meal. Cut out all sugars, minimise fats and dairy, and you will see results quickly.

This is my typical diet

Breakfast 6am
Bowl or rolled oats, blueberries and Greek yogurt
Cup of milo

Morn tea 9am
Protein shake with milk
Cup of coffee latte or two

Lunch
100g of meat (chicken, beef or tuna)
100g of carbs (usually pasta, rice, or roasted veges) with some sauce

After tea 3pm
Protein shake with milk

Dinner 6pm
Same as lunch 100g meat and 100g carbs

Pre-Bed 9pm
Celery stick with cottage cheese

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give this a go.
1. Only water with your shakes.
2. Cut out the lattes; they're just milk and sugar. If you must have multiple coffees, keep the milk to a minimum and use stevia instead of sugar.
3. Brown rice or veg with lunch. Cut out the pasta. Also be careful with the sauce.

become an obsessive compulsive about nutritional info like I am, also refer to amount per 100g/ml, as serving sizes vary so much.

Also beware that some of the nutritional info on MFP is total crap and made up.

I also found that dropping alcohol and all sugared drinks was an easy way to start. I also found that if you go too low carb for too long, you start craving exceedingly bad. Therefore I usually eat one piece of wholegrain bread at breakfast and maybe a bit of rice/quinoa at lunch or dinner. I personally found it hard to get the right balance for calories, as going too low made me feel lethargic and crap all the time.

Yeah dont avoid anything. Just avoid eating things in excess.

Should really be able to dive under 20% pretty easily just with a nice and steady deficit.

Tim.

hmm I noticed that OP isn't actually that fat (surprised that he claims to be 24%BF!) probably doesn't need to avoid anything in particular. I was thinking in the context of obese people.

Also beware that some of the nutritional info on MFP is total crap and made up.
Always double check a new entry with Calorie King then it all be saved on your phone MFP forever. Scanned barcodes are easy to double check with label.