• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Torn between CrossFit & Strength Training

You are probably seeing more crossfit injuries than powerlifting because crossfit is so much more popular than powerlifting. More people doing it.

Powerlifting being safe??? Come on, let's be serious.

Powerlifting is relatively safe at a general level however accident do happen and advanced to elite level lifters open themselves up to greater risks.

Ffs Ben both the so called sports have an element of risk.
im not going into detail about it couldn't be arsed.

to the op, I suggest you stick with the beginner stuff, get real good at exercise, then think about crossfit you're not too young.
simples.

I think he should just ignore everyone and their opinion. Do whatever YOU enjoy, and pick the one that you will consistently do. In a few months time if you get sick of what you are doing, change it

Ffs Ben both the so called sports have an element of risk.
im not going into detail about it couldn't be arsed.

to the op, I suggest you stick with the beginner stuff, get real good at exercise, then think about crossfit you're not too young.
simples.

I know both have an element of risk. I also know physios who will tell you that they will recommend any sport except crossfit. That includes, mma, powerlifting, and all sorts of other "dangerous sports".

I'm not a fan of CF its no lie, but I'm mainly offering this opinion based on the individual here. He's at a far higher risk of injury than most.

I know both have an element of risk. I also know physios who will tell you that they will recommend any sport except crossfit. That includes, mma, powerlifting, and all sorts of other "dangerous sports".

I'm not a fan of CF its no lie, but I'm mainly offering this opinion based on the individual here. He's at a far higher risk of injury than most.

I'm confused. In previous posts it was stated that opinions on sports that you don't personally compete in didn't mean shit and now they do??

I'd say there are more injuries at elite level powerlifting than at elite level crossfit..

I'm 36, been doing Crossfit on and off since 2008, never had a significant injury to speak off. If you're smart about how you train and don't let your ego get in the way, you'll be fine.

As rid29er said, it comes down to your goals.

I started crossfit in 2008, gave it up and focused more on Olympic lifting for 12-18 months. My lifts and strength improved but my fitness has suffered. I've just started crossfit again this month. Guys I use to train with can lift as much as me, are as strong, but their fitness is way ahead of mine.

Some key things I think you should look at:
Improve your mobility regardless of which direction you choose
If you choose crossfit, commit to it, 5-6 sessions per week, build up to it if necessary
Some crossfit gyms will program a strength piece and a metcon, that type of programming might be more to your liking

Good luck with it

Hi guys, thanks for replying;

My goals are to massively increase strength and mobility (Cannot do the OH Squat holding a PVC pipe, directly over my head). I had no idea how bad my mobility was until I tried a free crossfit class (and how weak I was lol). I thought it was just old age.

Once the above goal is achieved, then I would like to move on to body building and gain mass size. PS I eat like a pig, take mass gainer shakes and still cannot put on weight lol.

The Crossfit trainer (he owns the box business) says I will get more gains doing crossfit than I would doing 5x5; is he saying this because its his business and it means more $$ for him.

My goals are to massively increase strength and mobility (Cannot do the OH Squat holding a PVC pipe, directly over my head). I had no idea how bad my mobility was until I tried a free crossfit class (and how weak I was lol). I thought it was just old age.

Once the above goal is achieved, then I would like to move on to body building and gain mass size. PS I eat like a pig, take mass gainer shakes and still cannot put on weight lol.

The Crossfit trainer (he owns the box business) says I will get more gains doing crossfit than I would doing 5x5; is he saying this because its his business and it means more $$ for him.
What's his name/Crossfit club? Of course he is going to recommend his services over anyone else, I myself have put on 8kg since starting but by the sounds of it you need to workout your diet, if your eating like a pig and not gaining weight you need to eat more, start tracking your calories and workout what you actually are eating, you might not be eating as much as you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to get strong and big then don't do crossfit.

Last edited:
I'd say there are more injuries at elite level powerlifting than at elite level crossfit..

I'm 36, been doing Crossfit on and off since 2008, never had a significant injury to speak off. If you're smart about how you train and don't let your ego get in the way, you'll be fine.

I'm not talking elite lifters though here.