• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When is someone, according to you, a 'powerlifter'?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
I've often heard things like you're not a powerlifter untill you've competed, Ia someone who's trying to get as strong as possible through getting a bigger 3 lift total a powerlifter?

Powerlifters compete in the sport of powerlifting, others are just gym rats. You don't get a total unless you compete in a comp.

You don't do powerlifting, powerlifting is a sport, it's like saying you play Rugby League but you just train in your backyard.

I don't think you are a powerlifter until you compete. Before that you are training for strength. You could say you train for powerlifting, but that doesnt make you a powerlifter.

I tell people I train for powerlifting. I've done a couple novice comps but yet to enter anything significant.

So some fat or skinny bastard who's been lifting 1 month decides to enter a comp.
so now he is a powerlifter?

Lol idiot. Bodybuilding is a pass time, its an activity you do. You build your body.. Stepping on stage is being a competative bodybuilder. That low iq strikes again eh bazza?

Competing is what bodybuilding is. If you don't compete you are just another gym goer wanting to look good. Most people don't have the balls to compete.

You're a powerlifter if you compete in the sport of powerlifting.

Isnt powerlifting a style of lifting? And that is the style i do..

No, it's not. All it is is a sport comprised of 3 lifts, squat, bench and deadlift that must be performed in accordance with the rules.

Otherwise, how you train and the style with which you lift is completely up to you. There are powerlifters who train very specifically and others who train for general strength. There are high bar squatters, low bar squatters, narrow style and wide. Arched wide grip benchers and flat back close grip benches. Sumo and conventional. If you go to a local comp it's always very very different to what we're exposed to via YouTube.

I have competed in powerlifting comps twice, but hardly consider myself a powerlifter.

I am more of a weight trainer.

While I will compete in powerlifting again, I do so more to prove I lifted this and that in an official comp. I like idea of aiming for a certain day rather than just lift something good in time. I am aiming to compete in December, but training will be mostly bb style with a focus on specific lifts (and heavier weights) last few months.

Obviously, my loose approach to the sport would contrast greatly to those who eat, breath and sleep powerlifting.

Last edited:
I have competed in powerlifting comps twice, but hardly consider myself a powerlifter.

You don't have to either. But you have more right to consider yourself a powerlifter than a guy who does bench every Monday.

Same as bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is the extreme dieting, training, tanning, getting the routine down pat and having the balls to step up on stage in a tiny pink G all greased up in front of few creamy dudes. Without the competition part you just lift weights and eat decent.

The competition sorts the pretenders out.

yes, I agree with that.

I constantly see lots of guys who are very strong in gym, but until they do it in a comp it does not really count. There is a whole lot more pressure in comp with strict rules to adhere to which sometimes means that one's gym lifts are not achieved.

If you assume your strong, you should express this reality in competition.

Last edited:
If you rock up to PTC and do one of their Novice comps.... are you a powerlifter?
what if you do 5 of them?

It's not a fed... the rules are the same, but you can't set records for anything..
it's just a gym comp.

What if you do 5 novice gym comps, and someone joins PA/GPC/CAPO and does one comp?
who if either is a powerlifter?

If you train at home or at a gym and all you do is sq/b/dl, you are not a powerlifter... you are just a lazy weight trainer (this is me)
If you actively compete in the "sport" of powerlifting be it in a fed or local gym comp, my opinion is that you can be labelled as a powerlifter.

If you train with the local footy team, you are not a footy player unless you compete with them on the weekend.
If you lift weights and eat well and do a seasonal bulk then cut etc, you are not a bodybuilder... even though your passion/hobby is to "build your body"..
the term bodybuilder, just like the term powerlifter or weightlifter is/should be, for those who participate in actual competition in the chosen area.

everything else means you are basically a "weight trainer" or something along those lines.