• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which row is the best for assisting deadlift and grip strength?

I agree with you about it being easier to support the lower back with that sort of row, do you do it due to your back, or because you do feel it's a better movement? The discussion has been interesting minus the shitposts.

It's not bait it's fact
What you're saying is illogical. Your saying that you can't take the advice of gear users because they have enhanced recovery ability. Yet you have guys like Yuri Fedorenko and Sergey Fedosienko training at a much high volume than pretty much anyone on the planet yet get drug tested year round. Stan Efferding and the Lillybridge family squat and deadlift every other week. It means fuck all, your recovery ability can be trained to near infinite levels. Stop using "being natural" as an excuse to not train hard.

Recovery ability. lol. Can't take advice on what type of row to do for your deadlift because you don't recover as well. Give me a fucking break

Every example you've mentioned is an outlier for starters, not to mention in a very advanced state of training. How much do these guys eat as well? I'd wager a shitload more than I do. If that is the case, do you take steroids due to laziness? Obviously you just weren't training hard or eating enough. Fact of the matter is, if I was anywhere near the level of these guys, I'd 'know it all' already and wouldn't be asking advice on AusBB.

Simply looking at someone who is strong and what they are doing at that particular point in time is a fallacy IMO due to the above reasons. If we were talking about bodybuilding, and I said "hey Ronnie Coleman looks sweet, I should train like he does", I'd be laughed at. Same principle with strength training.

I took your advice on board, and noted that you were using straps, which I'm not intending on doing. You then proceeded to get extremely defensive when other posters suggested that you might be doing it wrong, and then go to attack everyone, much like most of the threads you post in. I can't tell if you're trolling or simply unable to consider other points of view at this point.

What the fuck are you after Bozodos?
Why does being a novice or advanced lifter determine the kind of row you do?
It doesn't
You have Beginner, intermediate and advanced rows as well as programs now?
Jesus Christ
Just look at what a deadlift is. It's an extension of the hips and knees and the lats act as an extra midsection muscle group to hold the thoracic spine in place and even to extend it. This the the function of the lats. So row in a way that mimics that. It's not difficult. It has nothing to do with drugs or how much you lift or how much you eat. Just forget that ever got brought up. Look at a Pendlay row, you're holding the hips static and training that thoracic extension. The kroc row has you extending at the hips and pulling the lats in like you do to finish a deadlift and also trains the obliques as you're pulling to one side. The t-bar row look at the positioning and again it's similar to the deadlift and you're rowing into the position where you will often loose positioning on the deadlift. It's not hard or difficult or complicated it's simple as shit and you don't need to look into whether or not you're "natty" for something as simple as doing some fucking rows

This is what I'm looking for. Why could you have not posted this in the first place rather than go off on tangents that I'm then compelled to respond to? Why do you get so mad at everyone in every thread? Could the mods clean this thread up maybe?

On a somewhat related note, it's deadlift day today :cool:

I got angry because I posted up an example of the rows I find the best for my deadlift and was met with idiots saying that it would never develop my back, would end up injuring myself and only ever got results from it because I take testosterone
Strength training is really simple you just need to look at what you're doing on video and notice what you're doing that is causing you to miss the lift. 99% of the time it's shitty technique because you're not strong enough to hold the right positions and keep the bar in the groove so you just need to do some exercises that train this ability. Like on bench press if you're not strong off the chest then you need to train an exercise that helps this area. Do a bench press looking in the mirror then straighten at the elbows and do the same movement and you'll notice that it's a front raise. Weak off the chest and have small shoulders then maybe you should do some front raises. If you touch low and find you're slow off the chest and build up speed maybe if you slow down the video you'll find that the weight is falling forwards ever so slightly as you push and you're spending a lot of energy keeping the bar path right which slows the bar down. Maybe you should do some reverse curls to train this so you can transfer the power better in future. That's all there is too it you just look at what you're doing and pick an exercise that overcorrects it.

Also for what it's worth I always found deficit deadlifts helped my lockout more than my pull off the floor especially when doing reps. You look at a hard deficit pull usually it flies off the floor due to the extra leg drive you get and the lockout is very slow and painful. Look at where most of the time under tension is and it's at the top in a fatigued state. If you're weak off the floor on the deadlift then it might not even by your ability to develop leg drive it might be another issue like the bar being to far forwards initially or your midsection rounding into the position it needs to be initially helps more in which case you would need to train the position isometrically instead of over a greater ROM so with paused deadlifts, touch and go deadlifts or block pulls 2/3 of which people often associate with training the top of the movement. I always found the opposite. Likewise shrugs help my deadlift off the floor as well even though I am doing a hand and thigh lift to get it going and cheating the weight up a load.

Yeah the videoing thing seems to be a good idea, unfortunately my gym forbids it.

TBH the biggest problem I had with the deadlift so far was bar too far out, and hands too far apart, coupled with using nowhere near enough leg. That's what you get for learning technique from bros I guess.

Deficit DL is a good idea, do you have a platform or do you stand on plates?

I used to stand on a plate but brought some rubber matting into my gym and I now leave that there
If your deadlift is less than 200kg I'd just stick to deadlifting though. Touch and go is great for learning the right technique as many people start the lift with everything lined up wrong. This is different to the squat and the bench because you don't have gravity telling you if you're too far forwards or too far back to begin with. So try to touch the floor as gently as possible on each rep. Or a technique that Steve Goggins would do is touch the floor as gently on each rep then slowly ease down until the tension was off and then go back up again. This makes sure everything is lined up perfectly because gravity will ensure that the bar is directly under the scapulae at all times. If you touch too far over your toes then you fall forwards but if you're doing dead stop reps your hips rise and you pull backwards initially and do not get the same feedback. If you're not built for deadlifting and have short arms then it might even be beneficial for you to start the lift on the toes slightly to get a bit more leg drive into the lift and touch and go will make this apparent very fast

last 1rm was 200, I did 160x7 today. My current assistance template has me doing 10x92.5, 10x112.5, 10x130 SLDL on squat day this week for comparison, but I can change that around to do deficit etc.

When you say touch and go, do you mean touching the ground as a fluid movement without a slight pause, or just barely touching the ground?

I can't believe this threaded ended sensibly.

...But I'll still try and clean up all the fucktardedness in the morning.

Edit: Well I just deleted 11 pages of shit which was over half the original thread. That's got to be a new record.

Last edited: