• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Shrugs but hold at the top for a 2 count. 10 bar in front, 10 bar behind and 10 with dumbells on the sides

Deadlifts.
Farmers walks.

Upright rows have always hurt my shoulders.
Never tried shrugs.

Tim.

Overhead press works them pretty well for me.

Pressing 60-80kg smashes my traps far more than deadlifting 130kg for sets. My press weight is more advanced than my deadlift weight though.

Right or wrong I'm not sure but I can't say I have ever shrugged at the top of an overhead press.

Last edited:
well yeah, since you shrug the weight at the top of the rep...
When I press overhead whether with a barbell or a dumbell I'm doing it to work the shoulders, not the traps, therefore there is no shrugging involved.

Nor do I lockout the elbows at the top of the movement

When I press overhead whether with a barbell or a dumbell I'm doing it to work the shoulders, not the traps, therefore there is no shrugging involved.

Makes sense to me.

You could also shrug at the top of curls if you really wanted to but makes as much sense as shrugging at the top of the press.