• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I might give this heavy shrugging business a go for a while...can take a before and after...
I'm coming into a slight calorie surplus period very soon so perfect timing. Has traps. But not hooge.

Tim.

0ni stay mad.

I'm fully cognizant that this is the BB section, it wasn't an attack on you Darkoz, I just wanted to see what your reasoning was.

I lock out my arms while having the shoulders shrugged up at the top of the lift with a barbell, doesn't seem that hard? I'll get someone to watch me next time I do it.

I use Rip as a go to, because I've read his book and he's generally accepted as teaching compound barbell movements properly (without wanting to start an whole other thread on whether that is the case or not). I thought that BB'ers tend to stay away from deadlifts because they're not conducive to a small waist or something along those lines. Don't know as I don't train like that.
I didn't see it as an attack at all, my point is if you're working shoulders you then you want to keep the traps out of it as much as possible, including the elbow joints.
Over powering traps take away from the shoulders.

When I trained briefly with some oly lifters they all shrugged towards the top.

It's really just a natural thing that happens for most people as they lift the weight behind their head a little.

I found not doing it caused shoulder aggravation. I still get plenty of shoulder stimulation, on the front delts anyway. I'm not talking an exaggerated shrug but I'm surprised those who arent consciously trying NOT to shrug are not finding overhead press hits the traps pretty hard.

Mind you I can't shrug or deadlift much.

With overhead press I just lift it overhead. Not trying or not trying to shrug. I press all the way out because my thoughts are even at lockout all the muscles are still working pretty hard. Try holding near your max overhead for any length of time. Its fucking hard.

But really locking out or stopping close is unlikely to make a huge difference either way.

Well I think oly lifters have a better idea than anyone on how to overhead press properly, especially with regard to shoulder health. And I can tell you as far as development goes they're impressive, their were girls where I went with massive delts.

Also I agree with what Bazza said above, thats how I press. I just found incidentally my traps get hit hard.

With overhead press I just lift it overhead. Not trying or not trying to shrug. I press all the way out because my thoughts are even at lockout all the muscles are still working pretty hard. Try holding near your max overhead for any length of time. Its fucking hard.

But really locking out or stopping close is unlikely to make a huge difference either way.

i feel the same way with the BB press.

i think there are only one or two exercises where the act of "lockout" can cause issues and make an exercise less productive and efficient.
lockout being where the joint alone is *fully* supporting the load and not muscle and connective tissue.

I shrug at the top of my presses, or at the last rep of each set if doing more than 3 reps
There have been times where I have gone months without pressing
Times where I have spent months pressing most days
No difference in traps noticed between the two, so that's that

Maybe when I am pressing significantly more weight though. When you're used to 250kg, what is 70kg. Even if your arms are dangling above your head, or whatever

i think there are only one or two exercises where the act of "lockout" can cause issues and make an exercise less productive and efficient.
lockout being where the joint alone is *fully* supporting the load and not muscle and connective tissue.

Been doing leg press and stopping just short of lockout. It feels opposite to OHP. When you lock out the knees you don't really feel the weight anymore and can sit there for hours without fatiguing.

So it all comes back to time under tension, where you lock out in some cases it releases the tension on the muscle...

Been doing leg press and stopping just short of lockout. It feels opposite to OHP. When you lock out the knees you don't really feel the weight anymore and can sit there for hours without fatiguing.

Spot on, you'll see most do this.

the press isn't too popular for this reason, it's much harder than any other form of press, firstly you got to stand, secondly...you're pushing directly against gravity and pushing or moving the bar a lot further than any other form of press and more skill is required to do this.

a fer superior form of press than all the others for shoulder girdle strength.
got to do it right though, do it wrong you'll fuck yourself up.

plus, locking out on the leg press can fuck up your hip in time, quicker if there is a leg length difference

Last edited:
So it all comes back to time under tension, where you lock out in some cases it releases the tension on the muscle...

Yeah but in the case of the press and the angle of the elbow, it's not possible to lockout the elbow, the the muscles around the elbow are still under load, especially the tricep as it's fully contracted, well as mush as possible, more so than any other of the more popular tricep exercises

Locking out the elbow on a DB press is easy, especially when doing the single version, angle your torso, arm completely straight you could stand there for hours, or as long as you back could handle anyway.