• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you feel a Pump Is Required For Maximum Muscular Growth?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Doesn't matter either way

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don't care about a pump

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce

I'm not talking about strength gains, purely hypertrophy.

Please vote

Yeah you can or at least it is so minor you can't feel it. I don't get pumps with low rep ranges, usually under 4 or 5.

I train about 2 sets / 2 exercises per muscle. my pump is huge.
doesn't mean im gaining more muscle but experience has told me low rep ranges do not work for me in terms of building more muscle.
so perhaps the pump contributes somewhat

It's a general guide that lower rep ranges don't build muscle for most, so you're not alone. Anywhere from 5-10 reps for max hypertrophy IMO.

But I find I get the biggest pump off big sets when the muscle is really fatigued. Either low weight and lots of reps or drop sets. They're always the last set I do but seems to put more blood in to the muscle group than the 'working' sets

I'm not talking about strength gains, purely hypertrophy.

Please vote

A "pump" or the degree of it is unavoidable when lifting weight.

Hypertrophy and strength are not mutually exclusive, a muscle increases in dimension which then allows for an increase in strength for a seasoned lifter.

rep ranges are only just a factor and should vary, it's the act of proggresive resistance (adding kg's to the exercise) over weeks, years of lifting, with enough sleep inbetween (rest) that stimulates strength which is an element of hypertrophy.

I don't think it matters. You can get bigger and/or stronger training with or without a pump.

What I found interesting is that, when I trained legs in 20 minute sessions during winter of 1987 mainly doing nautilus supersets of leg press and leg extensions which left me hardly able to walk down bus stairs due to severe pump, my standing long jump improved 15cm without any athletic training over a period of 3-4 months.

Now theory says power needs this and that (heavier training and long rests), but in my case, I made my best ever power gains, in terms of time frame, doing the exact opposite (high reps and short rests).

I honestly believe that, with so many variables with strength training, it is almost futile to define a perfect methodology for training.

That is why there are so many champions who train differently.

Again, whether you follow a program, train yourself or are coached, what matters is when to push and when to back off.

This not easy. It requires you or coach to observe one's body in terms of necessary recovery, along with proper diet. Some people are workhorses, some need less training.

Last edited: