• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb roundtable - Texas Method and Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5

That's the way I took it.
You found it boring or didn't put in the effort as well as eating properly, so didn't make any gains. That's hardly the routine's fault, is it? After all, every routine is the same apparently....

The question was "Did you find it successful or unsuccessful"
I found it unsuccessful
Where did I say that it was the routines fault or whatever? All i've ever said is you need to keep trying harder

Last edited by a moderator:
less than your current maxes obviously. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

IMO you should be sticking to a beginner program if you're not at ~120 bench, ~180 squat, ~200 deadlift, especially since TM, Madcow and most other 5x5 style programs are geared for slower progress over a longer time period.

beginner program = full body, 3x a week, increasing weight on everything by 2.5kg a day or by week. Minimum of assistance work, no volume or dynamic days, just grind those reps out and keep progressing until it halts, or you start hitting some decent numbers like what I mentioned.

This is to maximize 'beginner gains' since the rate of strength gain drops off exponentially, you might as well make the most of having shorter recovery times (due to lighter weights) and faster adaptation by the body. This isn't revolutionary stuff.

I know you're all about reinventing the wheel and being some kind of strength training hipster 0ni, but it really sounds like you were trying these programs at the wrong point in your training life. Why don't you give TM or something like that a red hot go now?

lmao
oh brother
what did you total at your last meet bozodos? what weight class?

Sorry, I just assumed you were someone that knew what you were talking about. Guess I was wrong, I'll leave this conversation now

I didn't realise you had to compete to have an idea about what training methods suit someone at a given level, none of the stuff I've mentioned hasn't been said a thousand times before by other people.

I'd tell you to get off your high horse, but your trolling attempt is fairly obvious

You need experience
Just because you read Practical Programming for Strength Training doesn't make you an expert
Guess I should abandon what I am doing now and do Starting Strength until I bench 120kg, progress on my squat and deadlift be damned! In fact I should have stuck to it when I was deadlifting 200kg over a year ago and just ignored my deadlift progress until a few weeks time when I get that 120kg bench lol

Genius

I actually haven't read that book, only Starting Strength to learn how to lift properly.

Like I said, why don't you try one of these routines now.

I agree I'm not an expert, but I've read enough from those who are to figure it out for myself, and my own results have borne it out. I did stick to the PTC beginner routine until I could bench 120, even as my squat progression slowed down, it's held me in good stead for starting 5/3/1. I don't think I would have been able to do the volume of upper body assistance otherwise.

If there was a GPA affiliate within 400km of me, I would compete - it's mainly thanks to Markos that I stropped training like a typical idiot bro and started the path to getting stronger.

I didn't choose TM for myself as I'm still eating at a deficit, therefore it was not well suited. Given that you're on gear as well you should be able to smash it out.

Not an expert, but you still tell what I am apparently doing wrong, lmao.
Why the fuck would I do the Texas Method

In fact, don't even bother answering. I already said I can't be fucked any more. I'll just look forward to more PBs and another elite total at my meet next weekend

someone's jimmies are rustled.

To maximise your potential obviously. You go to the trouble and risk to inject testosterone, why wouldn't you be trying out training methods to get the absolute most out of it? You might be doing well now, but doesn't the thought of wasted potential eat at you?

You don't need to be an expert or lift for 20 years to work this stuff out.

All I said you were doing wrong was doing a program at the wrong point in time, don't know why you're so mad.

pls respond

I actually haven't read that book, only Starting Strength to learn how to lift properly.

Like I said, why don't you try one of these routines now.

I agree I'm not an expert, but I've read enough from those who are to figure it out for myself, and my own results have borne it out. I did stick to the PTC beginner routine until I could bench 120, even as my squat progression slowed down, it's held me in good stead for starting 5/3/1. I don't think I would have been able to do the volume of upper body assistance otherwise.

If there was a GPA affiliate within 400km of me, I would compete - it's mainly thanks to Markos that I stropped training like a typical idiot bro and started the path to getting stronger.

I didn't choose TM for myself as I'm still eating at a deficit, therefore it was not well suited. Given that you're on gear as well you should be able to smash it out.

You're telling me you got to 120 bench naturally. The gear heads here believe those sort of numbers are not possible naturally.

Slightly off-topic and this is just opening up a discussion but why have we always been in the train of thought that these sort of plans are suited to beginners when really the squat and deadlift (and bench to a degree) are prob some of the most advanced/high risk exercises? and 5 x 5 at that which is hugely taxing/ harder to stick with correct form....I understand that people could seek advice on form but alot of newbies dont/cant - wouldnt a 5 day - 6 day bodybuilding style split be more a beginner program than this?

Dont go blastin just opening up a convo....