• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How OFTEN Do You Usually Hit Abs, Calves, & Forearms?

Abs 2x per
Week
Calves never or periodically
Forearms, your kidding?
Forearms get enough
From gripping deads, rows, or weighted carries, i got better wayys to waste my time then grabbing rice or doing wrist curls

usually do calves 2-3 times a week, abs havent done for ages but did a couple of times a week when i did them, and dor forearms in the form of wrist curls about 3 times a year....

Calves try for every second day.
forearms, never
abs, fogetboutet, see my pic, that will leave in no doubt

Abs is now my favourite part to play with in my assistance work. Because it was so hard to begin with just getting those legs up once in a hanging leg raise to now being able to complete a whole set without wanting to throw up. Love dat progress!
Never do forearms, not interested either. They get enough caning from deadlifts and pullups.
Never do calves either, mine are big enough as it is without directly working them, if I did they would look ridiculous.

Dont do calves. They are not tiny.
Dont do much direct ab work. I squat and deadlift alot. As well as bent row. Not unusual for me to get ab doms from squats.
Forearm? Never. Grip is strong...must be ok.

Tim.

i ciuld say the same thing about abs?

you see a heap of people doing all these ab exercises who will never see their abs, yet if you wear shorrts your calves are always on display, so why not work to improve them as i would argue that thye are one of the most neglected body oarts there is.

i ciuld say the same thing about abs?

you see a heap of people doing all these ab exercises who will never see their abs, yet if you wear shorrts your calves are always on display, so why not work to improve them as i would argue that thye are one of the most neglected body oarts there is.

Never ever thought that my calves need to be bigger, never cared, but wouldn't mind better abs.

Calves seem to get enough work with other heavy leg exercises and lets face it who looks at other blokes calves. Bit suspect.

Seriously if people like training them, do it. Not sure why people get so defensive about their calf training.

I've got big shins, makes my calves look thicker so I'm pretty slack on those... Don't mind training them though, always throw in a couple of sets at the end of leg days.

Only really train abs when I can start seeing them. If they're buried under a layer of fat I don't target them much, maybe once or twice a week.

A strong grip has always been important to me.
over the years I've done all forms of grip work, at the end of the day nothing conditions the arms like loaded carries, even BB curls are great.

Early on I tagged weighted ab crunches (one set) to the end of a workout, not so much now.
doing these properly, certainly thickens the waist (torso).

One exercises I like to do and do often are side bends, they also strengthen muscles around the spine, which is what I'm after.

Calves?
when I look back at photos of myself before I started working out, I looked like a stick insect, I worked on my calves at times, I think it all helps, but the time spent compared to other exercises over 30 years was miniscual.

No being defensive, just curious, I would think abs would get far more work done from deads, squats and even bench than calves would but that's just my opinion.

And not so much calves on blokes, but a good set of calves on a chick wearing heals is hot, just thinking of Jody Foster in Elysium, couldn't find the pic I wanted but you get the idea

Like most people who previously posted, I never really focused on calves or forearms as they get worked doing other exercises. Plus, like others have said, the time used working these minor muscle groups could be better spent.

However in recent years I've shuffled things around and now train them once a week. After all, they are the muscles that hang out when wearing t-shirts and shorts. I'll do calves last on leg day and forearms straight after biceps as they are already partially worked. Grip strength is only one part of your forearms. Do reverse barbell curls and reverse wrist curls and you'll feel muscles you never knew you had.
And seeing calves and forearms are used in most other exercises, you need to hit them with high reps. So I'll usually do 3 sets of 20.

With abs, I've found the best way is to work them every time I go to the gym as part of my warm up for 5 minutes. As part of stretching, do 3 x 30 reps of sit ups, but 3 different types of sit ups. It only takes a few minutes, doesn't get boring, and warms up the core for whatever you're starting your workout with.

Calves and forearms - now days prob never - if your a bodybuilder though always suggested - even if your a strength athlete - to be honest its just something I dont really think about. I do direct core/ab work - should be doing more though.