• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When do you consider a set "failed"

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
when do you consider a set failed? When you can't get every rep with good form or only when you can't get the bar up?

Surely you don't fail a set, you fail a rep. And what about forced/assisted/partial reps? I guess it all depends on the goal of that set, whether you were planning on using a cheat to go beyond initial (strict full range form) failure or not, as to when the set is finished.

When you can not complete a full rep - that is a failed rep....as @tbone ; said this is where forced/assisted/partial reps can really be beneficial.

I guess people will have different views on this - but this is how I see it.

Rep is failed when you can't complete the rep or someone touches the bar. None of the, its all you bro stuff.

I'm a bit confused about the question also.
Only example I can think of, when a set is failed, is when you know you can get 10 reps out of that particular load, but an injury flares up and you choose to stop, at say 4.
Thats when I would say I failed that set, stopped 1/2 way due to risk of damage.

I think admin must of ment rep - you can fail a set I guess if you have a set number you want to aim for i.e 2 sets of 8 and you only do 1 x 8 and then 1 x 6.....but that just comes back to failed reps....

Stop focussing on individual sets.

Focus on the number of sets or reps you do per week and try to gradually increase it as a post beginner. Say you do 40 chins twice a week now, try to make that 60 chins twice a week by december. Make the rep scheme consistent and lift heavy.

This is the big secret to strength and the only thing that I've seen that works for a lot of people.

There is no such thing as complete 'failure'. Only momentary muscular failure.

I would say it is when your can't control the negative portion of the movement.